Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble with my Trim/Tilt. Most of the time it works going up. Been having more and more instances of it not going down when I press the button. I can hear a 'click' noise from the trim/tilt when I press the button but it doesn't actually try and run. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not sure what motor you got but it sounds similar to an issue I had with my boat. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. I did some research on some forums that focused more on boat motor repair and found that the relay that controls the tilt was going bad - I know with my boat there are two relays one controls up and one controls down. Once I figured out what was wrong I did some hunting around and ordered the replacement relays on-line, cost me about $25 with shipping for two and took about 30 seconds to replace them once they arrived. If you do some research you can quickly find the relays and pull them out to get a model number, do a quick search on line and you'll have them. Here is the website I used to order my relays from, they shipped them right away and if you call them they pick right up.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Relays.aspx

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a 90 hp force and the relays were the problem

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much thanks, guys. It's a 40hp mercury and it has gotten worse as the season has gone on. I gave a call to the guy that winterizes it and he said it's likely one of the ends of the switch may be corroded and that it would cost around $125 to $150 for him to repair. I'll look up the info on the relays you provided and see if this is the issue first. Thanks again!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Wouldn't be the switch if you're hearing the relay "click"... it would be the relay contact corroded or burnt up. Replacing them should fix the problem

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked it out today and it's definitely one of the relays. switch them and the issue becomes going up vs going down. called the company cmalinowski recommended and i'll get them to ship out a couple tomorrow. they said over 50% of their calls are about these relays.

note that a guy on youtube saw some corrosion on his and just polished them up and they worked fine. mine appear to be more internal to the relay. i got some fine sandpaper and cleaned up the terminals on them and still had an issue.

thanks again to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fyi, I called Paul's marine and they have some in stock. $15 from Paul's, $10+$8 shipping from rallylights. Not a big price difference but I just wanted to make sure I got them soon so I can go fishing early next week.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Glad I was able to help - the switching them idea is always an easy way to confirm if it's the relay, i had forgot to say that but bountyhunter had me covered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts