close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trim tabs for fishmaster 196

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by muzzy123, Sep 15, 2016.

1. SNOOK5151

SNOOK5151 Cant kill em sitting at home

Thanks for the reply ordered today

2. Meerkat I am in same boat as you because of swim ladder. Been wondering if the platform of swim platform can be moved to give room not sure how much space is needed for cylinder actuator.

3. SNOOK5151

SNOOK5151 Cant kill em sitting at home

I have to send the tabs back, I ordered the Bennett bolt 12x4 but evidently there is a movable and stationary mount on the actuator, I got the stationary type there is no way they will mount up to my boat anyone know the correct number for the 12x4 movable mount?

4. I ordered the Bolt 912ed tabs that muzzy has and they came with the adjustable hinge actuator. The number is bea3000 but dont know how you order that with the kit.

5. Meerkat

Meerkat Member

Hey Muzzy, I am curious about clearance on between your port tab and your kicker. If I put a 9" x 12" tab on my boat & position it like yours (couple of inches inboard so that it clears the hold down strap) then it does not allow me to turn my kicker to the port side. I can get a little more clearance if I move the mounting position all the way out to where the angle of the hull changes but then I am going to have to move the hold down strap anchor points. Maybe they mounted your kicker a little further inboard? Thanks - I am still trying to figure this out before I start drilling (eek!) Joe

6. You are right meerkat. In my hurry and excitement to install them I overlooked what you are describing. I just checked mine and it does hit also. I have not trolled with kicker since I installed them late last year so I never noticed this. If I lower the port tab down an inch I can almost achieve full rotation on the kicker where it is mounted now. I guess I will have to check the clearance with the main motor and maybe move my kicker over an inch or so or notch out the corner of the tab. I will send tabman a message and see if small notch in the corner will effect the tabs much. I'm glad you posted so I can find out now before i was on the water.

Attached Files:

7. I tried attaching this pic to the other post but it would not attach. This shows where it contacts with the tab lowered an inch.

Attached Files:

8. I just double Checked everything and if I just lower the tab an inch or about half way while trolling I will not have any interference with the motors turned all the way to port. I have about 1/16th of an inch clearance with the corner of the tab. I will just have to remember to lower it each time I troll. It is what it is at this point.

I guess I never noticed it while just using the main motor because there is just enough give or slack in the panther the bar that it allows the main motor to fully turn even with the kicker touching the tab.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  9. Meerkat

Meerkat Member

Muzzy, Does this swim platform cut-out look about right?
    Swim Platform Cut.jpg
    I made up a cardboard tab & I can just fit the 9x12 where the purple arrow is on the following pic (your boat pic - I have merc kicker). It just clears the kicker when it is all the way over to the port side.
    tab port side position.jpg
    I am going to have to move the tie-down anchor point on the trailer out a little to clear the tab but my son-in-law can weld me on a bracket.

Thanks for your help! The original install was not right and I don't want to repeat the mistake!

10. The cutout looks right. I set my jigsaw blade at an angle so that the cutout would be tighter near the top and then beveled underneath to give more clearance to the actuator, if that makes sense. I think mounting it to the edge of the chine will be fine like your doing and you won't have to worry about hitting the kicker. I debated wether to mount it to the edge of the chine and move the mounting tab like you will have to do but decided I could get away with it like I have them mounted now. If I had to do it over I would do what you are doing.

11. Meerkat. So did you install those trim tabs yet . If so did you try them yet. I think I will be putting the same size on my 196FM. I just put the kicker on temporary that's why it is mounted with a towel under it didn't want to mark the transom up. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492996958.719659.jpg