Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it was a off year for me this trip..Between 25/30 degree temp drops and dropping the river level a foot didn't help the fishing in my book, but the time spent with my 7yr old daughter was priceless..She started taking this trip with me 3 years ago as a default.My wife had to work all week and we had no DEPENDABLE sitter. .So it was take her or stay home back then...This was her 4th year going . I would never think about not taking her now. My Dad starting taking me when i ten ..It was JUST a MAN trip back then...

I've came to terms this trip is not about me anymore..It was about the quality time i spend with her. She spent every second on the water with me Sure there were times when my Patience ran thin ,but i think i controlled it pretty well..This was her first time using a open face reel..Get the picture :D

She caught on fast and was soon reeling them in ..All she wanted to do was cast and reel. I couldn't keep a line in water Between cutting worms in half and taking off fish, untangling reels. (Three things we are working on )The pan fish were flying in the boat. Then it happened a smallie busted her worm ..Watching that girl reeling a 3.5 small mouth in River current was great. I thank the fishing gods for keeping that fish hooked ..It tail dance four times and stayed on. Not to forget she reeled the sinker to the end of her pole. Now we got a 1 1/2 feet of line out and a raging small mouth still hooked..Needless to say the fish was landed..Picture to come ..
After that it was... Dad can we fish for those... Dad was happy :D

Trent River
The Smallies were plentiful this trip..Nothing over 4.5lbers ,But tons in the 1.5/2.5 range..

Walleye fish was tuff i think the weather and the river level played a great roll in this or I just could not find them. Managed a dozen for the week.Biggest was 22in..

Pike are starting to become a player in the river..My nephews family landed a few .They were small but it Tells us fishing will be changing real soon on the Trent if these bad boys continue to grow and spawn in between the locks we fish..

Pan fish (gills,perch,rock bass)As always SLAB after SLAB after SLAB.. Cleaned over 200 fish

Lg mouth Never targeting them this trip..Did pull a few out of DA Weeds Largest 3lb

Muskie Only went once.. No takers..Tori got board ..

Rice Lake
Only went for the Walleyes ..
Trailered the boat over Thursday 9th Got on the water by7:30 am..Went to my favorite Weed bed After two hours of casting and pitching with no takers it was time for Weed bed two.. We got into them soon after the third cast..Nothing big But got a few. Purple home made Errie derries /half crawler with a gold blade..The gold blade seemed to be the ticket as silver was not producing for us.

I'll try to post a few pics tonight

352 days to go until my next trip to Canada Come on July 2010 :)

Good luck to you guys still going ..Summer still has not hit the North yet..Things are still a little behind

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Nice post! I was up in Georgian Bay with my 20 year old son and the wind and rain was blowing while my son was catching 22" to 24" walleyes. Managing the steering and netting, I was catching few and couldn't keep a worm harness in the water much. When my son offers to drive boat so I can catch up, my response was simply "that's alright, I'm enjoying you catching the fish!". That's what my trips are all about also! Cherished moments.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its good to hear about that smallie your daughter caught this info really helps our family is heading up for a week of fishing on rice lake mostly panfish and walleye some bass it is encouraging to here the fish were biting on the tren.:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good time. I thought for sure things would be really hopping up there, I was there at the end of June and thought another two more weeks and the bite would really be on. Oh well, at Rice there is no such thing as skunked. You can always take a bow and shoot at about 100 carp over 30" all day long.

Your post is encouraging, I have been contemplating when to start taking my boys with me (4 and 7), do you think you could give me some patience training??? Great place to troll for walleye and let them reel 'em in.

Looking forward to a few pics when you get a chance.

Damon

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey mike, never got the chance to hook up with ya. My fiance went at the last minute and it was pretty much the same situation as you. She doesnt hook up worms or unhook fish, i spent alot of time tending her lines. She did catch some decent smallmouth. The week of fishing wasnt as good as last year. I would catch about 50 rock bass, (it seems their population exploded) a couple perch and a couple 12-15" LM/SM each day. A buddy with me caught an absolute monster lm during the full moon at night. I didnt see it cause I was sleeping, but from the picture it looks to be about 22". It turns out I was on seymoure lake, which is on the trent river. We had a bigger boat this year, so I went up and down the river alot more, and got my bearings, We'll have to meet up next year, or at some other lake around here in the meantime.

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys ..It was a special time with her.

Ohiojmj
Ahhhhh Georgian bay..I hope to go back there. Went last yr for the first time..What a great place..I hope my daughter is still interested in fishing at 20 yrs old.

Youngunner
You and your family WILL NOT have a problem finding pan fish..Have a safe trip and report back..

Dingleberry
Oh those carp..We went shooting one day .Carps were hanging deep though Tuff shots for us .Personal choice on when to start them. I started taking Tori at 31/2 in the boat.I would take games .books ,coloring books ,LOTS of snacks,drinks,her computer gms. anything to keep her (ME) on the water longer. Even her blanket for that afternoon nap.. On the Patience thing..Oh boy..i never got to the yelling point but do get frustrated. Had my heart broke this last trip with Tori ..after a few dozen times of her lifting her pole to the noon position and seeing the line twisted around the tip and still cast. Get the picture ...What a mess .Now this was the 24th time i had to cover this .This time it was one more time you do that and its back to your beginner (baby) pole. Well she got all quiet and turned her back to me not fishing.After 5 mins i ask whats wrong .She turned around with her big blue eyes tears running down her face and said. I don't want to go back to my BABY pole..Made me sick to see her cry, but it gave me a shot of PATIENCE.. So i guess i got a brush up course on Patience training from Tori..

Daduru
I agree to bad we didn't hook up..I know right where Lake Seymoure is. I stayed down that way a few years ago.. Your not to far from me ..Went down that way once this trip. Thats one great lg mouth area your in. How far did you travel up river. Did you make it to the bridge that crosses over the river? I go up every year during the same time slot. Always covering the July 4th holiday next years dates are July 1st to the 10th .What other Lakes you hit ?

·
Registered
16,822 Posts
Just an idea but maybe a good zebco would be best for you and your daughter. Not the barbie rod but a model 33. I saw a combo package of 2 zebco33's at Dick's - One with a pick rod and one with a black rod. They aren't pieces of junk and will keep the frustration down..

I remember casting the shoreline with a dardevlet while my uncle trolled a dardevle on Crane Lake. This worked for us. I still have the 33 although its retired for my use but the nieces and nephews still use it.

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just an idea but maybe a good zebco would be best for you and your daughter. Not the barbie rod but a model 33. I saw a combo package of 2 zebco33's at Dick's - One with a pick rod and one with a black rod. They aren't pieces of junk and will keep the frustration down..

I remember casting the shoreline with a dardevlet while my uncle trolled a dardevle on Crane Lake. This worked for us. I still have the 33 although its retired for my use but the nieces and nephews still use it.
She went from a Sponge Bob pole for a 1.5 yrs. Then to A Zebco 33 for the last 2.5 yrs..This is her first Time using a spinning rod set up.... I AGREE Theirs no better beginner set up then a good old Zebco 33.. Those things are tanks ..Well at least the older models.. She just asked this trip if she could start using a pole like mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts