Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
big badd bass fisher
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have been thinking about giving hunting out of tree stands a shot this year with my bow, I have always just hunted off the ground and have had very little luck, and i hunt only on public land. But I just have a few questions like when you hang a stand do you put it up before the season and leave it there all year or do you put it up every day you go out? How high do you put them up in a tree? And how much of a difference does it make when shooting out of one then when shooting level on the ground? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most public land you cannot leave a stand up. My suggestion would be use a quality climbing stand. Make sure you practice both climbing and shooting from it(angles are different for shot placement). With a climber, you are more mobile, can choose whatever height suits your area, and I have found that you can go into areas with hunting pressure and find options that the deer haven't seen before. Sometimes just going 10 feet higher makes a Hugh difference in the amount of game you will see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
307 Posts
Definitely get a climber. If you are going to leave a stand out pretty much expect it to be taken. Also from what I know, if you leave your stand in public woods, it becomes public to others and another person can walk up and hunt out of your stand. If money isn't an option, LoneWolf seems like the way to go, they are very nice stands but will cost you some $$. Summit makes a big line of climbers and there are many other brands.

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,447 Posts
Definitely get a climber...lots of them for sale on marketplace.. Can't go wrong with a summit or gorilla.
You want to be up 15-25ft... really depends on the tree and the cover.
Pick a spot off the trail or edge...I like to be at least 10ft or more away from the main trail. last year I shot my buck at 25 yds.... I was 25yds off the main trail overlooking a bean field.

Most importantly with deer- Hunt the wind, always be up wind of where you expect them to come.

If you have a newer bow that shoots between say 250-350 fps- shooting out of a tree stand shouldn't effect your arrow flight too much. I mean, the faster your bow- the less effect you'll notice... The big difference in shooting from a stand from the ground is where you aim on the deer. Depending on how close the deer is will change the impact point into the deer. So generally you have to aim higher if the deer is within 10yds of your tree. If the deer is out past 30 yds then your pretty much shooting at it broadside.

A range finder is invaluable... but you'll be surprised how close most of your shots are.. mine are generally 15-20 yds away year after year. Good luck!

·
Registered
529 Posts
+1 on the climber for public land.

Lonewolf makes a great one I hear. I don't use climbers but friends of LW and I have used Summits.

Get a safety harness.

It doesn't matter how low or high your comfortable getting as long as you have good shooting lanes and shot angles as well as a good backdrop you won't get outlined.

·
big badd bass fisher
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys, before this I was mainly looking at hang on tree stands. And I'm guessing y'all just get out in the woods way before light and put the climber up every morning when on public land?

·
Registered
530 Posts
A climber doesn't take long to get up into although its a little work. Tree selecting can also be an art. Like mentioned mind your backdrop.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,447 Posts
Do yourself a favor...when you get the climber, practice using it in your backyard...go up and down with it to 10ft or whatever... you'll learn alot on the best way to do it, safely, quietly, etc...

Then try doing it in the dark. :)
Nothing more frustrating then having a great spot planned in your head and you get up extra early... you get to your exact spot or tree and then you start fumbling around in the dark with that stand, making tons of noise, you start to sweat, mosquitos are swarming, you picked a shag bark hickory... oh goody, now you get to PEEL the tree as you go up, making even more noise.
You get up in your stand...and your so aggravated and sweaty- you can't calm down and enjoy the silence..

Don't forget- climbers need trees WITHOUT limbs, at least in the lower 20ft or so. You'll learn what size you'll need too with practice.
If you think you can maneuver around a couple small limbs- you'll be in a world of agony! :)
So, just be well oiled machine with that stand before you go and you'll be safer and happier.

You could always start hunting the evenings first too.

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Get a safety harness.
My brother in law recently lost his job as a cop for anger issues. He fell from his stand and hit his head among other injuries. Rather than man up and tell the doctor he was having problems, he let it go too long. He never had problems before the fall.

Two things led up to this.
He went out to the tree stand alone (was deep in the woods of SE Ohio).
He didn't bring his safety harness.

Now that he's lost his job, he came clean about his head injury and now is being treated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like hang ons because I think they are more versatile as to what trees you can hunt out of. Get some lite weight climbing sticks or rapid rails and a lone wolf hang on. Pack them in and out with you. No more weight than some climbers. If you have to or want to leave your stand for a short while or overnight even, you can simply take the first stick or rail down with you so no one can get to it to hunt or steal it.

Climbers are ok and mobile but not my first choice.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes on most public land you can leave a ladder or hang on in the tree for the season. It might not be there when you go to hunt it but you can.....

Each type of tree stand has it's own use....

A ladder stand is nice.... it is quit getting in and out. They are very stable when put up properly. I use them on land that I only have permission to hunt or a few friends and I.. Usually priv land... Extended steps help get you up higher.. 20+ft is where I like to be depending on the terrain.

A climber stand is a great way to be mobile whet ever you hunt. If you are good you can get in a tree without hardly making a sound. They can be very sturdy in the tree.
Down side is it must be a straight tree or at least a tree without branches.. Pre-scouting is a must. IMO the Lone Wolf sit and climb is the best out there.. Super sturdy due to the tension straps. they are 20lb's and fold to 4 inch's thick. not to mention they are so quit from the alum framing to the strap and pivit pin that latches it... Other great climbing stands are Summit API and treewalker. If you buy any of these buy tension straps which lock the stand to the tree..... All are well built quality stands.

Hang on stands.. Are exactly what ***** laker45 say's they are.. They are very versatile.. They can go up most any tree in the wood's. you can use tree limbs as steps to the next set of stick's. You can climb trees that have better cover than a climber. They are great on priv land. I wouldn't leave my lone wolf hang on in the woods even if I had taken the bottom steps off. A climber can solve that problem.
Down side is they take more time to set up than a climber. When setting it up you leave quite a bit scent on the tree when setting it up. Some hang ons are not a sturdy as climbers.. Some are though watch what you buy.

Just my two cents on tree stand's... add to it if you want. I am sure LW sit and climbers are not everyone's fav's.. If you haven't tried one you should, I have tried them all..

I hope this helps Bigfish..

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a couple cheap junk hang-ons that I leave on public land every year. I just pack in and out my sticks or depending on the spot you can find trees that are brushed in really well and hide your sticks.

x2 on the Harness

And the climbers with the pins and cables are normally cheaper, but are a hassle in the dark sometimes but I used one for years and you get used to it. I like to scout an area and mark a good "climber tree" with a reflective tack or reflective tape while it's daylight out. I wouldn't go walking through the woods at dark and try to find the perfect tree to climb.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i killed quite a few rabbits the dogs were running at delaware wildlife out of someones ladder last year. the only issue is they are public domain and may be legally taken home by whoever wishes. Alot of times if im hunting public off of the beaten path ill go in in the evening and find my tree and leave the stand for the next morning. As long as there is no one else around the chances that it will be found and stolen in the dark are slim. As far as long term, if you leave cabled to the tree long enough people will cut cables i have seen it happen. And lastly you can make a BUNCH of noise getting into a tree and not spook the deer. Last year in muzzleloader i heard a horrible crunching noise my buddy had apparently chosen a shaggy bark. 30 minutes later at first light bang mature doe. Crunching bark is a much more natural noise than say talking or other noises.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Find a ladder stand $50.00 bucks or so place it for the season, where you want it, someone can sit in it but they can not steal it, what are you thinking. I do not live in a large city where you have to worry about such things. I had two ladder stands on a private land but was bordering a public hunting field, it was and still is very productive and never anyone out hunting it.
Ladder stands are safe, up high enough, but not for hauling in and out with you, that seems like a waste of a day. The noise made placing a stand in the dark, I can not imagine, maybe place it in the morning and hunt it in the evening.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I've hunted from all three types of stands, ladder, hang on, and climber stands. so far knock on wood but I've never had but one old ladder stand bothered. it was a home made stand and was made in 2 parts and someone stole the bottom half. they didn't even take the platform part of the stand. they just made it about 6' tall.

I now use the summit viper and I just love it. I am 62 and not in good health but I manage to get it in the woods on opening morning and get up a tree. then I take a chain with me and chain it to my tree. but I use to always carry it in and out back when I was healthy enough. it only weighs around 20 lbs and only takes about 10 minutes to set it up and climb a tree. and I actually like it better than most ladder stands I have used. I highly recommend the summit viper and the safety harness that came with it.

the best thing about a climber is you can move it any time you want. I have moved many times after it got light enough that I could see and didn't like where I was setting. and if you have a spot all picked out and you get there and someone else is already hunting that spot with a climber you just move on to another spot. if you have a ladder stand or a hang on stand and someone sets up 40 or 50 yrds from where you have your stand it makes it very hard to hunt from your stand without setting up on top of them.
sherman

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
someone can sit in it but they can not steal it, what are you thinking.

incorrect items abandoned on public property are public property. Even if you have your name and address tag on the stand i know for a fact if you call the game warden and say your stand was stolen on public ground he will not investigate. Your only chance is the sheriff's department and they will very rarely "investigate" stolen cars so good luck getting them to hunt down an 80 dollar stand.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The cops will investigate a stolen stand on public ground as much as they will investigate one stolen from private ground. Putting a stand up and have it stolen is illegal, how can you think that, why are there any picnic tables left in state parks. Put a lock on the stand, keeping a honest man honest, a crook will do something to damage if not steal it.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
someone can sit in it but they can not steal it, what are you thinking.

incorrect items abandoned on public property are public property. Even if you have your name and address tag on the stand i know for a fact if you call the game warden and say your stand was stolen on public ground he will not investigate. Your only chance is the sheriff's department and they will very rarely "investigate" stolen cars so good luck getting them to hunt down an 80 dollar stand.
Think u missed the point...all he was saying was that it would harder to steal a ladder stand as opposed to a hang on stand...and I agree.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts