close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trash where you fish?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ocdfishguy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Hay gang, Is it just me or are you guys seeing more trash and fishing line laying arround where you fish? So far this year I have seen more fishing line than in the past, and it has not been a small amount but large wads of the stuff. I have been picking it up, but I feel like I am getting no where fast. Just like to know if it is a problem anywhere else?

2. As I just wrote on another thread, it sickens me that so-called sportsmen litter the banks. Discarded line is the worst kind of trash. It is my mission this year to pick up all the discarded line that I find. C'mon guys, how much energy and effort does it take to carry that trash away. People leaving trash has resulted in some fishing areas being closed to the public.

3. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

It seems like the easy access spots tend to have more trash than a spot tht isn't fished much...
    We take trash bags with us at times. If we don't have a trash bag we sometimes burn the trash, if we are not on state park land...
    I think the people who leave trash behind are the same people who string up bass or any other kind of fish they happen to catch...the meat hounds :mad:

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I don't know about the rest of you, but after a day/night out on the boat, we sure do seem to create some trash! (fishing line, food wrappers, cans, bottles, etc.)
    I hang a little grocery bag up on the boat and toss our trash into that.
    Personally, I think that there should be many garbage receptacles in the area that we clean/prep our boat for the ride home.
    Do you know at West Branch (Rock Springs road ramp) there was not 1 garbage can? Portage lakes has 1, and Mosquito has only 1 also.
    I think that if people had a way of disposing their trash (with minimal effort), that they would be much more likely to put it where it should have been put in the first place. Maybe a designated area to clean and prep boats for travel? Well lit and plenty of garbage containers would be a wonderful thing :)

5. I fished Skeeter before and after the water came up at 88 and what a mess! :( I never seen such a dump. When the water rose up to summer level all that #*%@ floated up and took off!
    I too carry a can and have my boys clean-up as we go but its not enough!!!
    What will it take.... :rolleyes:

6. I have taken more then my fair share home from bank side fishing...I feel sick when I see all the trash laying around and its everywhere too...Anymore people in general are making me sick... Never have I saw so many ignorant people in my life as I have the past few years and it keeps getting worse...

I was driving with my son and this idiot pulls in front of me so slow I have to break pretty hard... Needless to say I was miffed but then the idiot gives me the one finger salute when I toot my horn at him... That was all I could take and punched my gas and went around him then boxed him against the curb jumped out with 1/2 intent on doing harm to my hand with his head (I am not a big guy and not prone to this kind of act)

I start screaming at this guy WTF you think your doing and explain how his driving could have caused harm to my child when he says I must have been driving too fast!!! All I could take so I drag him out of his open window and was ready to pound him when I hear my son calling me above this guys frantic apologies... grrrrrrrr

I re-think drilling this dude and tell him to head straight to church because GOD just saved his butt (nice word) thru my son's voice...

I had to tell my son what I did was wrong and stupid and all the reasons why he should never act like I just did... Guess I am just sick and tired of all the feces for brains I meet on what seems like a daily basis...

Way off track but I needed to vent a tad :mad:

It kills me that the trash laying around is from my fellow so called sportsmen!!!

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

A week ago my club did a trash cleanup at Portage Lakes State Park and filled the back of a full size pickup truck with full trash bags. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

8. bird

bird

I agree and think this is an issue that needs to be addressed more often and enforced with penalties. This trash we see gives anglers a bad name, well the ones who care anyway. I know I do not like to fish around trash. It smells, attracts rodents of all kinds and just looks like a place were people do not care. 88 can get pretty bad at times really bad. They do need to put more trash cans out there. But how hard is it to carry your trash back with you? You sure had no problem bringing with you. Respect. What we need is to get volunteers together and get out there and it done. Possibly if others see this they will think twice before littering next time.

9. I go fishing with my dad on the GMR. at the ross rd bridge.outside tipp city. One day we walked up on this group of guys that had been fishing all night. Beer cans,dead cat fish.Chicken liver tubs.trash all over the place. As they woke up one by one they walked off leaving two good poles. An one nice tackel box.5 sacks of trach.4 channel cats 2 over 22''. We stayed there in that spot untill about 2:00 pm(Caught a few small mouths) They never came back for ther stuff.So my dad put a thing in the tipp city paper about lost fishing gear.Never heard a thing about it.They didn't have their name on a thing

10. It drives me nuts! A couple of years ago I saw so much crap along the causeway at Mosquito that it looked like a city dump. I would call these jerks pigs, but I once raised pigs and they weren't as messy.

Line is a real danger to wildlife and fish. It can be recycled, but I've not found a place that will collect it to send to Berkley.

These are the same type of jerks who throw their fast food containers along the road bordering my property. I think we should bring back the stocks and put these people in them in the county square. How about caning? A good smack on the butt would certainly be in order.

11. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Gander Mountain will take old fishing line!!

12. I think part of the problem is that a lot of men are spoiled kids who are used to having their wife pick up after them. Do your wife and the environment a favor and start picking up after yourself.