Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people leave trash on the banks?
Every time I go out I collect at least two grocery bags full of trash.
How can people go out to enjoy nature then deface her with thier crap!

Non aliter capere pisces dimittam!

·
Registered
115 Posts
People these days have a sense of entitlement. They believe its someone else's job to clean up their messes. And truth is someone else probably will pick it up. And the next time mr. Trash visits your spot and sees it has been cleaned, he will surely do it again.

If you witness someone doing it first hand. Call them out on it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Ironically, 99% of it that I find is left by guys who are on foot. Meaning they could easily carry it out the same way they carried it in.
Gives bank fishermen a bad name.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Empty propane tanks and whatever fast food place they chose that day littering the banks pisses me off beyond belief. Especially when they leave empty bags that could carry the crap out in. Its mostly catfishing at night when you find empty chick and liver cans all over the place. I used to pick the stuff up
But now I also feel like they think its my job to be their mom and pick up after em. I won't even leave cigarette butts or tag lines behind. You brought it down you can bring it back!
Sent from my LG-P999 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
986 Posts
Then they get bent out of shape the next time they come to their spot and there is no trespassing signs.

When I go catfishing at night, I bring plenty of snacks and smoke about a pack of cigarettes. I put every butt in a soda can, every snack wrapper in the bag I got when I bought them... I'm pretty lazy myself, but its not hard to clean up if you don't make a mess in the first place.

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
Worm containers and mono. Everywhere.

And people still wonder why some get upset when you mention names. The more people fish an area, the trashier it is.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
cant tell you how many times ive been complemented by people in yaks for carrying trash out of the creek. No matter how much i take with me more is there the next time i come. Apparently these folks didnt have a dad who made it very clear where he would put his boot if he caught me littering. thats the problem IMHO

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's because unfortunately America is going all to hell. Most people themselves are trash... I'm 22 and even I can't stand my generation. But what are we to expect when children are being raised by teens that can't even take care of themselves let alone raise a child to be a respectable human being. Nobody has any respect anymore. People don't like hearing it but you can't say it's not true. But back on the literal trash, I have to keep 33 gallon trash bags in the car to clean up everyone else's garbage when I go fishing. Does it piss me off to clean up other people's trash? Hell yeah, but I don't want people thinking I'm one of those worthless p.o.s. people.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My new thing is just cleaning up while I wait for the catfish to bite. I walk all the way up to the other people fishing and clean up the trash around them without social interaction. It seemed to catch on because they cleaned up before they left. I've only tested it once in front of others because it was the last time I went out for enough time to pick up after anyone but me and had someone fishing close. The move is mouth shut, look at them like they are from mars and pick up trash.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did that once and got "Who d hell u is my momma"

I decided to pack up and leave before I got b!tch slapped.
Non aliter capere pisces dimittam!

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I've tried to carry out more than I carry in since I was a young man. it only takes one person to trash a large area. I've said for yrs theres always going to be that 10% that messes things up for the rest of us.

a few yrs ago we did a lot of 4 wheeling down at black house mountain trails in tenn. it got so bad they put up signs saying either the trash stops or the riding will. my friend and me started taking a large trash bag with us. he would fill his bag with aluminum cans and I would fill mine with just trash. after a bunch of people seen what we was doing some of them started doing the same thing. it wasn't long until it looked much better. by the time we quit riding I could still fill my bag with trash if we made an all day ride. but the aluminum cans was so much better. my friend could only get his bag about half full. but most of those cans was new one that had been left by the trash.
sherman

·
Registered
890 Posts
3 years ago I filled 3 -30 gallon trash bags at Buckeye lake.....At North shore. A guy who was fishing stopped what he was doing and helped me for 30 min or so..( good Man). I pick up trash everywhere I go......And have called out litter bugs and called lawenforcement on multiple occasions. Taken pics of vehicles and license plates.
After 35 years as a firefighter and going into many hundreds of homes believe me when I say that these same people who throw their trash on the ground along lakes and rivers do the exact same thing in their homes!!!!!
Stay the course........

·
cheeryo
944 Posts
the real "agent of change" is a 1000.0$ fine for littering, only way to get to these people is wear it hurts, the wallet. I stopped at dream bridge yesterday and it is a disgusting mess under there. I would need a giant trash can to pick up all the trash.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I agree it's sad. I imagine it starts at home though. Where I used to work I would drive by houses with trash all over their yards.... No sense of pride, ownership... it is sad. I'm afraid I don't have an answer.
The good news.... My kids would never do that, nor will yours!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts