close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Traps

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Walter Adkins, Mar 1, 2005.

1. When I was fishing the other day I just about put my big foot into a trap. Have any of you ever came across any traps while out there? I was rather upset to say it politly that this trap was not marked. The trap had just been set that morning or the day before.
    Gals and guys please for my foot sake mark your traps.

2. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

That is scary! Kinda makes me worry about all the kids running through the woods...
    So I guess there are no laws or regulations regarding trap setting like there is for Jug Fishing? If there isnt, there should be! I think every trap should be clearly marked. Not only marked, but it should also include the trappers identification...

3. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

W A,
    What kind of trap was it? I would not blame someone for not marking it for the simple fact that it would get stolen or mutilated by some vagrant. I can say this because when I trap in areas that I am the only person with permission no less. I have had quite a few stolen or simply mutilated by some body. :mad:

The reason I ask what kind of trap it was is because it would have to be a big one to actually hurt someone through a pair of boots....

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Legally your traps need your name and address on them.

5. There sure are regulations Marcia...
    That trap can and should be reported to the local Game Warden and pulled if he says you can... It is unlawful to pull traps too whether marked or not...

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thats news to me, I'm not a trapper, but are you saying that the small game traps dont hurt? That makes me feel a little better, I've always thought what it would be like if someone stepped in one.

7. Some of you are blowing this WAY out of proportion. First, no land trap is going to hurt you if you have shoes on. Even without shoes it wouldn't be bad. You really wouldn't even know you stepped on it until you picked your foot up and it sprung. A persons foot is far longer than a trap's jaw spread. Second, you have NO right to mess with someone's trap. Being tagged does not mean it has to be tagged in plain sight. Nobody is going to flag their traps, nor should they. Trap theft and vandalism is bad enough as it is, no need to advertise. Unless they were trespassing on private ground, they have just as much right to trap there as you do to fish.

8. You know it could have been a bear trap!:eek:

I agree with M.Magis that guys should not get worked up about the presence of a trap. As he said traps the size that the guys were probably using would do nothing more that stick to your boot if you were even able to get your foot stuck in it. And as he said how would you know if a trap was marked unless you moved the trap around to inspect it. If you were on private land then you could mess with the traps but on state land they should be left lay.

9. If the trap was not tagged, call the ODNR. If the trap was on or near a trail, call the ODNR. I don’t know why there are not more stringent regulations about where traps can be placed. They may not be able to do serious damage to a human, but I am sure that a dog could be seriously injured. If the trap was in the area that I think you were fishing, it is a very popular place to take dogs.

10. H2O Mellon

I've never trapped, like I said before, I figured it was like you see in the movies, blood squirtng from someones leg & the teeth inside yo, but according to what you guys are saying its not. Thats good to know, now dont get me wrong, I'm not going to try it out just for fun. But thanks for the info.

11. Unless the trap is in a place that specifically prohibits or limits trapping in some way the wildlife officer is going to do nothing. The only real valid question is whether or not the trapping is available in the area in question. You can check here for a more complete list of the trapping regulations.

12. Some of you need to familiarize yourselves with the law a bit more before telling people to report them to the ODNR. According to the facts in the original post, the trapper did absolutley nothing wrong. You will not be able to see the trap tag, and you have no right to go digging around to find one. Leg hold traps do very little damage, and they certainly don't have teeth and cause gushing blood. Those were outlawed years ago. I've caught myself before, and even caught my own dog once. I let her out and she went on her way and never acted hurt. The bunny huggers do their best to convince people that trapping is terribly evil. It's not at all, but apparently some of you fell for it. :rolleyes:

13. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Wise man once told me...watch where you are going, it may benefit your health.

14. It is very clear this poster was able top see the trap was not marked... That is enough reason to call a game warden and report the trap and its location. If it is not marked then the trapper is not legal and may even be trying to trap without permission at the least and at the worse the trapper is stealing from you and me by not being legal...
    nough' said
    I trap and I know the laws...
    Some people reply here without reading the post and its intent :rolleyes:

15. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I saw a trap just off the bank while wading 4 mile creek. I saw it well before I stepped into it though. Looked scary, but it's good to know that they won't cause to much damage if I do step in one!

16. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

here are a few kinds of traps

Attached Files:

17. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

foot hold traps set on land must be covered. so the law was broken right their. as for the trap being marked you wont see that unless you see the trap. it needs th have a durable water proof tag bering the name and mailing address of the user in englishthat are legible at all timesor the name and adress can be stamped into the trap. uou also cant set or maintain a trap on public hunting areas except for beaver and their are special regulations for that..........jim

18. I read that as the trap was hidden and no marker was present to indicat that the trap was there. It did not sound to me as if he looked for the ID tag and not find it. Perhaps I misunderstood this. Perhaps not.

I think what everyone is trying to do here is protect the reputation of the trappers. Just like hunters and fishermen it is a term and activity that can carry very negative feelings by some people. And allowing for misrepresentation can lead to banishing the trapping altogether.

If the trap was indeed found to not have an ID tag or was found to be in a place where it should not be then by all emans contact the proper authorities. But we want to make sure everyone understands the law.

19. H2O Mellon

Well I'm glad that Wlater didnt get in the trap for a couple reasons: a.) not to have it go off while his foot was in it and b.) not to upset the trapper if it was legal. Great post Walter, I've learned alot abotu what to watch out for while fishing/hiking.

20. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Why is it illegal to set an uncovered trap? Just wondering. I can see why it would be best practice to conceal it from the prey, but I'm sure that isn't the reason.