close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trapping - More than I bargained for!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Jul 11, 2005.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

As most of you have been following my little groundhog trapping "escapades", I now think my trapping days are over.

I woke up this morning and looked out the back window, like I do every morning now, to see if the trap door has been sprung. Sure enough, it was AGAIN. And AGAIN with NO bait. Well, it seemed I had managed to trap a skunk :S this time. Just what the heck was I supposed to do? Everytime I got near the trap his bushy tail would be erect and figity. :S I truly had a predicament on my hands.

Well I had to call a vermin-removal service to come out and just OPEN THE TRAP! They do not remove skunks. Well, 50 bucks later, they just let him go! He threw a shower curtain over the trap and sprung the door and put a metal rod in to hold it up. The skunk promptly walks out and goes right under neath my shed. Just great. Now I have a skunk under my shed. :mad: Now I can't go swimming as my pool is just on the other side next to my shed. :mad:

The guy said the best way to get rid of skunks is to douse their living areas with lots of water. They will eventually get disgusted and leave. I guess they hate being wet. Now I gotta go water my shed. See you later. :mad:

2. Have you wanted a bigger shed? Throw some miracle grow on it and maybe it will grow a little bit more. :D Sorry to hear about your new visitor. Put a sign up that says ground hogs only no :S . Good luck.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Put either fox urine or mothballs around the shed- either should cause the lil' guy to go elsewhere. Fox urine is probably the best- find it at a garden store believe it or not. Mothball- get them anywhere.

I have also found that a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia sprayed underneath will persuade the skunk to vacate. Just do it while he's out dining. Skunks tend to roam at night.

My dog's been skunked 5 freakin' times. I either have a dumb dog or a persistent skunk. I've used up more tomato juice than any one person should be allowed.

UFM82

If nothing else, a 22 headshot will take them out before they spray- just make it a good shot.

4. Any gunshot to the central nervous system will cause them to release their spray. I learned this MANY times as a teenage trapper. I've heard it mentioned that a 22 short through the lungs will do the job with no smell, but that's a myth too. ;) About the only way to dispatch them without the smell is an injection pole.

5. 50 dollars just to have the skunk walk under the shed! Good luck in getting rid of it, don't need it to leave its fragrence while you're taking a swim or something!

6. I was told that skunks will move on. They don't stay in one area for an extended period of time.

7. Before I start keep in mind not to smoke while doing this or after. Put gasoline in a pump sprayer. Spray up under the shed. The fumes will run the skunk out and any family members with it. When the skunk has left pour gas around the shed. We do this all the time on cabins. This also works well with snakes. You only need to do this for a few days and the skunk will get the idea. When the skunk is gone you can get back to the ground hogs.
    The groundhogs must not be to dumb. They have brought out the big guns with their ace in the hole, Mr. Skunk. I wonder how much Mr. Skunk charges to get rid of pesky humans :D

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i would try a smoke bomb b4 you try the gasoline ,it's too hot outside to try the gas. you could poke a hole in your pool and drive him off.L.O.L.

9. Man I would just have fun with a good BB gun. The gas kinda sounds like a bad idea to me too. Do you really want to polute your yard with gas. Not to mention I do believe that would be against the law. And I can't see much of anything growing there plantwise if you use gas. Maybe firecrackers lol. I have no clue really on how to get read of it, but I sure would have fun trying and would stay away from the gas.

10. bet your trappin days are done :D :S :D

lmao (can i say that?)

11. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

To give a little more back ground on everything that happened... I first called the Animal Control office in hopes that my tax money paid every year might get them to come out. Nope. Same thing with the Division of Wildlife. Neither orginization wanted anything to do with my skunk.

Ever since I borrowed this trap, I am starting to learn that I have a little bit more wildlife around than I thought I did. I live near Chapel Hill Mall in a suburban and retail neighborhood. No way did I think I'd get a skunk. The problem is... now I KNOW there is a skunk around and he went under my shed. :mad: Now I will always think that there is a skunk under there, even YEARS from now. :mad: It sure changes things when you have that "knowledge", especially when I want to do things in the back yard.

I think I will try the fox urine and mothballs, along with the water. Once I make it totally unlivable under there, I am boarding up all the possible entrances and filling the exsisting holes. Might even throw a couple dozen smoke bombs under there just to make sure. I got some left from the 4th.

I think I will still keep trapping. This is kinda fun! I am telling you, it is the first thing I go check when I wake up in the morning and when I get home from work. I intently watched the "vermin expert" and how he handled letting him go. Since I was paying him 50 bucks, I wanted to learn what to do. I will practice the quick release method with the trap (as my current release method is cumbersome and involves 2 hands) and will be prepared if I get another skunk :S .

I am not giving up. I can't wait to get my first racoon and possum!