trapping creek chubs

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Procraftboats21, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

how many of you guys use these for bait?

2. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

When I was younger with no real responsabilities (7 kids ago) my absolutely favorite method of summertimer fishing was tossing a couple rods out with softball bobbers and creek chubs. The biggest bass, pike, and dogfish I've ever caught came that way. Creek chubs work way beter than shiners. I used to net them in the pigeon river or buy them for $2.40 per dozen. That was a couple years ago. The bigger the better. An absolute freakin' blast.

3. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

i started using them on live bait jig heads with a stinger hook on the ohio river.using bigger ones sure cut down on all the small eyes you catch.and they are very tough

4. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

What bait do you all use in your traps to catch them? O rmaybe I should say, what is the best bait?

5. i use em for channel cats! all the time

I use a seine net to catch mine though

6. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

i use dog bones.they seem to hold up better then bread or crackers

7. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

velveeta....!

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

yeah bread works but doesnt hold up well

9. I read some where using cheese in a trap does pritty good........Rich

10. it seems to me like it dosent really matter what you put in there any kind of food. dog food even works.

11. I used to catch chubs when I was a kid like this........Take a softball size stone and wet it with water, then coat the rock with flour, Then place the rock in your minnow trap , set the trap and wait. The flour will stay on the stone for alot longer than you would think. Hope this helps.

12. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

ive had good luck with bread wads, tortilla peices, and cat food wadded up in a peice of white plastic trash bag, poked full of holes, then hung with a twisty-tie from the top of the trap.

13. used to catch bigger ones with a small hook and corn in the deeper holes in a creek by my house as a kid and it also kept me out of trouble

14. I use saltines and sardines mashed up and put in a old onion bag and hang in the middle o trap with a quick tie.Love fishing them chubs

15. I have always taken small stones and made a dough ball of bread around the stone, this keeps the bread on the bottom and in the middle of the trap. I throw a few of the crusts in also so that it floats and as it breaks up it attracts the minnows to the trap. I usually throw the trap out late at night at retrieve it early in the AM. I have caught as many as 50 minnows in a night, which is nice because you can pick out a dozen or so of the size you want and return the rest unharmed. In two years of trapping minnows I have only had one trap stolen and I figure that was more than paid for in what I saved by not buying minnows. I will try dog food some time to see how that works too.

Scott