Transporting Firewood

Discussion in 'The Camp Fire' started by napsax, Apr 7, 2008.

1. How far can firewood be transported? I used to carry lots of wood to Dale Hollow to camp with; but, that new bore beetle rule stopped all of that. So how close does the source of firewood have to be? Same county? Same city? Same Neighborhood?? Or do we simply need to buy wood from the nearest minimart?

2. call odnr. when i go camping i'd look for a farm in that same county near where i camp and look for a sign that says firewood for sale or free wood.

3. If you live in a quarantined county you can only take firewood to another quarantined county. But in doing so your route has to stay within other quarentined counties. You cannot go thru a non quarantined county. If you live in a non quarantined county wood can only be transported to another non quarantined county by traveling a route through other non quarantined counties. And in no case can you transport any firewood out of the state.

4. Thanks for all of the replies. I love OGF!
    How can the lawman prove where I got my firewood from?? I mean is it something that Park Rangers really look into very closely? I am not trying to beat the system; but, I would like to know what my metrons are when I get close to a camping site.

5. I was told it was by taking a soil sample off of the wood.

6. Utard

Utard

Do you guys know if this regulation is concerning 2x4's, 4x4's, pallets and other construction lumber? Conventional wisdom leads me to think that the regs pertain only to fire wood obtained from trees that have grown naturally in that specific county. I can't find anything on the ODNR website about construction lumber and it doesn't seem like there would be any risk of transporting the borer, but you never know. I'm heading down to southern OH this weekend for a little outing and was planning on bringing some 2x4's from my in-law's neighborhood, but thought I'd see what you guys thought first.

7. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for spreading the Emerald Ash Borer or other pest or fungus to another part of the state. If I see people transporting wood across quarantined areas, I call the police. No questions asked.

Winner

8. Utard

Utard

I have sent an email to the Emeral Ash Borer section of the ODNR asking about the risk of transporting the borer via construction scraps (not whether it is legal or not) just if there is a risk. If there is a high risk and it is still legal--I wouldn't risk it. But if the ODNR says that ther is no risk, then I wouldn't hesitate. I'll be sure to post if I hear anything back.

9. Here is a map of the quarantined counties. Looks like I can go almost anywhere in my area of the state.

10. Utard

Utard

No Map?

I received an email from the ODNR which indicates that there is no risk of transporting the Emeral Ash Borer via constructions scraps. Here is a copy of the emailed message. I won't give out any names here, but if you have questions PM me and I can probably get you in touch with the person who helped me.

If/when I hear more, I'll let you all know.

11. Utard

Utard

Confirmed. According to a Field Supervisor of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, construction lumber poses no risk to transporting the EAB so you can take it anywhere in the state.

Also, by this definition you can transport pine from county to county. Check out their website for more details. Look at the FAQ section.

12. Napsax,
    The park rangers can't prove where the firewood came from and don't have to. Your license plate identifies the county you live in so if it is a quarentined county and you are camping in a non quarentined county, better have a reciept proving the firewood was bought locally. But on the other hand, I have never been asked my firewood whenever I have brought any from home.

13. Do not transport firewood, period. Keep it in the county it came from.

EAB= Bad News!

14. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Ancient Member

If you live in a non quarantined county you CAN transport firewood to a quarantined county but you must use it all up and not transport it back.

15. Utard

Utard

The folks at the Ohio Department of Agriculture are extremely helpful. I sent one email which has been forwarded on to a number of really helpful people who are a lot smarter than me. Here is a copy of an email that was sent to me yesterday afternoon. Says pretty much the same as before, but has a little more info on the severity of transporting the borer.

It is probably best for us and the state's forests to err on the side of caution, but there is no harm in being educated on the specifics and the reasons why. Were I to take any kind of fire wood with me from home, it would be 2X4's only.