Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'eye addict
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a buddy the other night who said that he works with a guy who just bought a place with a pond, and that the pond has tons of nice-sized bass, and that he wants most of them out for some strange reason. H claims they come to the surface when he walks around the pond, because they have always been fed fish food from the bank.

This sounds a little "fishy" to me...I'm guessing that we'll go out there and either find lots of small bass, or a bunch of big catfish. Either way, they probably won't be fish that we'll be interested in eating if he wants a bunch of them taken out of the pond, which leads to my question:

Is it legal to take fish from a private pond (observing legal limits and using legal methods, of course) and transport them for release in another private pond? I know of situations where this has been done before, but have always wondered if it is actually legal. I'm willing to do some research, but I'm guessing that there are several of people on here who already know the answer, so I decided to come here first. ;)

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i can't think of anything illegal about it if the pond is private and isolated and it's done with property owner's permission.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I agree with Rick. The pond owner owns the fish. He can gather them any way he wants, and do with them as he pleases. State regulations don't apply to private ponds.

·
Lifestyle Farmer
579 Posts
Misfit hit it with "isolated", I believe it cannot be connected to public water. To put it another way, they don't want your transplanted fish to get into public water.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
I have a friend from work who asks me yearly to stock his private pond with some panfish from my home lake. He has fishing parties for kids a couple time a year so i try to help out. It's an isolated pond, like Misfit said, so i didn't see a problem doing it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know plenty of people who have done it, but by-the-book it is illegal. From the Ohio Fishing Regs:

"It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another."

The fear is not so much in transplanting the fish itself, but rather that you could also unintentionally be transplanting (in egg, larval, seed or other form) any of a number of other things.

Also remember that "isolated" is rarely really isolated. Any number of birds, ducks and geese unknowingly transplant stuff all the time.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
"It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another."
as mentioned previously,that law pertains to "public" waters only.not private waters.
Also remember that "isolated" is rarely really isolated. Any number of birds, ducks and geese unknowingly transplant stuff all the time.
and that happens in nature already.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
In addition to what Misfit said, there’s also a difference between “transplant” and ”introduce”, which we’ve discussed a few different times.

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
then technically even if someone didn't transplant anything there is still a chance for contamination of public or private waterways :p

·
"I sat by the river" N.Mc
1,062 Posts
I have done it by request with a buddy from a pond that had to be drained from a breech in the dam. We put the fish in his pond and over the last 2-3 years have seen no visible impact. We lost one catfish in the transport but all other seemed to have survived and causeed no ill effect. I agree with private to private stocking if you are sure the fish are healthy and have no sign of paristes or possible problems. I would take a look at fish before transporting them. Also if he has many small fish then the pond may over run and should be thinned out to provide a healthier balance for the overall population. Again make sure the fish look good, no sign of parasite's. be sure to look in the mouth throat and gills. I would say a random sample as your pulling the fish would be a good indicator rather than every fish. Have fun collecting. S

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
We need to do our part to not be part of the problem.

*Do not move live fish from one body of water to another, especially from the Great Lakes into inland waters!
*Clean your boat and trailer before launching into new waters after being in infected waters. In particular, clean your bilge and livewells with bleach/water mix and rinse thoroughly.
*Keep up-to-date on the latest and most accurate information available on the VHS virus.

A couple links
http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/Fishing/pond/health.htm
http://www.greatlakesbass.com/conservation/vhs.html
http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/index.php?topic=748.0

(c) Regulated Species of Live Fish:

The following are regulated species of live fish:

Atlantic cod Gadus morhua

Black crappie Pomoxis nigromaculatus

Bluegill Lepomis macrochirus

Bluntnose minnow Pimephales notatus

Brown bullhead Ictalurus nebulosus

Brown trout Salmo trutta

Burbot Lota lota

Channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus

Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha

Coho salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch

Chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta

Emerald shiner Notropis atherinoides

Freshwater drum Aplodinotus grunniens

Gizzard shad Dorosoma cepedianum

Grayling Thymallus thymallus

Haddock Gadus aeglefinus

Herring Clupea spp

Japanese flounder Paralichthys olivaceus

Largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides

Muskellunge Esox masquinongy

Pacific cod Gadus macrocephalus

Pike Esox lucius

Pink salmon Onchorhynchus gorbuscha

Pumpkinseed Lepomis gibbosus

Rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss

Redhorse sucker Moxostoma spp

Rock bass Ambloplites rupestris

Rockling Onos mustelus

Round goby Neogobius melanostomus

Smallmouth bass Micropterus dolomieu

Sprat Sprattus spp

Turbot Scophthalmus maximus

Walleye Sander vitreus

White bass Morone chrysops

White perch Morone americana

Whitefish Coregonus spp

Yellow perch Perca flavescens

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
very good info and though the regulations basically pertain to the great lakes,it is still wise to take care when stocking private waters,such as suggested by the dnr link.but it is still legal to do so,even if not from the great lakes.
stocking fish from reputable fish propegators lessens the chances of introducing unwanted diseases,etc., into private ponds,but many people can and do stock fish from other sources(legally).

·
'eye addict
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the good information, guys. At the very least, it appears that this is something that shouldn't be done without some thought as to the possible effects it may have. If, for some reason, this guy actually wants to "get rid" of a bunch of bass, I would just hate to see them all get killed.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
if the guy really wants them out and you have no "private" water to transfer them to,the best option would be the filet knife.it's a much better alternative than just tossing them in the garden or weeds.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
if the guy really wants them out and you have no "private" water to transfer them to,the best option
Boy Misfit.... How long has it been since you've been catfishing? We all know the best option would to be on the end of a hook as bait!!! :D

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
We all know the best option would to be on the end of a hook as bait!!!
sorry,i didn't consider that jmenchhofer might be a cat guy:D
and it's been too long since i've had the chance to stalk flatheads:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts