close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transom Savers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Blue Pike, Feb 27, 2005.

1. I did a search on this site. Transom savers and came up with zilch.

So I’ll ask. Anyone use them and what would be a good one to buy?
    I just picked up my boat yesterday in Ravenna via 480 and the Ohio turnpike for the most part good smooth roads. Still the black motor was a bouncing pretty well.

I have heard stories of transom savers doing damage to the motor.

The manufactures Crestliner and Mercury say it’s all right to use them.

Just trying to get some opinions on this. ------ Thanks Blue Pike

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think there's one that's spring loaded now. I can't see how it could damage a motor, except one way, if the boat is not secure on the trailer. If your boat is properly secured at the back, then the trailer is attached to it & stays on the boat when you hit a bump. The transom attaches to the motor & usually the rear roller of the trailer, so it keeps that distance the same. I don't see the need for a springloaded saver, because that would allow for movement of the motor, which is what you are trying to prevent. The top strap is a bungee cord, so it can & will still move upward a little on a bump. They also take the strain off the cables and controls to your motor. Some say you don't need them, but then the motor sits at 90° to the transom, bending all the cables & stuff real tight.
    That's my opinion, I could be wrong, I use one on my boat.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I've used them for years. Never, never had any motor damage using one. They are designed with a rubber or neopreme V that goes on the motor then they either go over your rear roller or some have a slot that they connect to. I will say I know of several guys that have had transom damage by not having one. They are designed to do just what you said, stop the motor from bouncing around. I would never pull a boat with out one. I'm not sure where you got your information about them doing damage to the motor but in my 30+ years of having boats I've never heard that. Go buy one it's cheap insurance to protect your investment.

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

A transome saver is a must have. The weight stress of the outboard on the transome is releaved with it in place when trailering. If your outboard has trim and tilt just make sure you don,t trim it down to much to where the transome starts to flex when you trim it down. Plus its a Merc. It deserves only the best! :D
    LakeRaider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. Thanks for your input on this. I have never owned a boat with a mid sized outboard, always had inboards or 15 hp outboards and smaller.

I did a search – Transom Savers - on Walleye Central. That is where I got the negative info about transom savers.

I will be getting a transom saver for my motor/boat. Thanks again.

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have read a lot of pro/con arguments about using them on walleye central too. but i opt to use one on my 40hp.

7. I ordered mine a couple of years ago from Cabelas and it works great. I feel a lot better about transporting with it on. And it is only less than a minute to put it on and off when at the lake.

Here is the one I bought.

Transom Saver

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Oh...here's a tip, put it in the boat or cab when you launch. Don't leave it in the back of of your truck. It might not be there when you get back.