transom saver

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by elkhtr, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Need some advice.

I have an '88 Smokercraft Big Fisherman. Max HP is 40. Currently have a 9.9 on it (weighs about 75lbs). Considering upgrading to a 25hp that weighs 160lbs. My trailer does not have a crossmember which would allow me to attach a transom saver. Ground clearance is not a problem, I can trailer with the motor down.

Think this will cause damage to the transom?

Suggestions?

Thanks

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

cant you rig some type of a cross member support on the frame? look for a lock built into the motor mount swivel base. mine has one, but its a bigger motor. i think if i didnt have anything to mount a transom saver on i would run my motor in the full tilled up position and not down. id be afraid of tearing off the lower or skeg if i hit a hole or something. i might be wrong though.

3. "i think if i didnt have anything to mount a transom saver on i would run my motor in the full tilled up position and not down. id be afraid of tearing off the lower or skeg if i hit a hole or something. i might be wrong though." - ezbite

Not to sound like an @$$ or anything. But remember it's a TRANSOM saver, not a motor saver:D. That being said dont run with the motor up with out one as the increased leverage of the weight of the motor could damage your transom. If at all possible I would look into what ezbite said about adding a cross member to your trailer. It would not be structural and would only need to help support the weight of the motor so you could probably get by with bolting a steel pipe to the frame. Driving with the motor down should not hurt your transom but you are greatly increasing risk to your motor.

4. thanks for the input guys.

The trailer and boat were put together and are not a perfect match. The trailer is older, but has 15" wheels and when the motor is in the down position, the skeg is still about 18" from the ground. The middle rollers on the trailer are actually lower than the skeg. This trailer is a pain when loading/unloading at a shallow ramp because it sits so high. I am thinking about getting smaller wheels/tires just to make it more user friendly. I cant read the spec's on the trailer plate, but I think it is rated for a much heavier/bigger boat.

I have been looking into transom savers since the post and found out they make "bent arm" savers, which would probably work on my trailer. Didnt know they were made that way. Anyone know if they are effective? I think it would work fine, but wonder if anyone had experience with this type.

5. I use one of those "bent arm" transom savers. You can get one from Cabelas for about $45. Are they effective? Well, the one thing I dont like about mine is that the transom saver will not hold the motor in a "straight" position. In other words, the motor has a tendency to fall to the right or left. I think it does this because of the bend in the transom saver. On the other hand, the problem could be that I'm not trimming it down far/hard enough. Anyhow, I just lower the motor, turn it to the side, and support the motor.

If it is easy to modify your trailer, I would do so and go with the "straight" transom saver.

Or, maybe someone will tell me I'm doing something wrong w/ mine:eek:

6. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

had a bent arm saver, had the same problem with it as ohiou 98. modified a swivel-ease one to work. could not get the bent arm to hold motor straight. still got the bent arm one before you buy from cabelas, i will give you a deal.

7. What a relief to know I'm not the only one. How did you modify the trailer to handle the swivel-ease? I might do the same.

But, on the other hand, does anyone think/know if its harmful to have the motor turned to the side, but resting on the transom saver??

8. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i drilled some different holes on the frame and was able to use the swivel- ease brkt that came with it.

9. I have a straight one and my motor always turns to the side. I just put it that way from the start. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. If your skeg is that high in the down position it is more than likely higher than most of us that use the transom savers. If you're going to leave it that way, do you really think it's needed?
    Scott

10. Thats kind of why I posed the question. I am not sure if the weight of the motor while trailering would be too much for the transom without extra support.

11. I have a 90 horse on mine. If I were to hold it in the position it would be when I put the transom saver on, I could do it one handed. I don't think it really takes off that much weight. It's a matter of ground clearance and also holds everything solid so it won't bounce. Most of the weight is at the power head. Do you guys agree with this??

Scott