close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transom saver question?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ohiojmj, May 25, 2005.

1. Do I need a transom saver? I have a 3 year old, 16' Starcraft welded aluminum deep V with a 40hp Merc 3 cylinder that weighs 200#. The transom appears to be all aluminum and it has bowed out (about 1/8") just a enough to crack the silicon caulk where it meets the splash plate. I tow the boat with the motor in the down position; there is ample clearance to the pavement.

Any advice appreciated. I'm making a 800 mile trip north soon and would like to use a transom saver if that's the ticket. I thought transom savers were for bigger outboards. Do all transoms bow out a little? I would think a small amount of permenent deformation is OK, but if it continues I could be in trouble aye..??

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I'd say go grab a transom saver. The weight of your outboard is relative to the strength of your transom...that's one of the reasons why you can't throw a 250hp O/B on your boat. Likewise, a boat with a stronger transom, could carry a larger (heavier) o/b...so I would think that the amount of torque trailering is pretty much the same for both heavier and lighter outboards, relative to the transom they are on.

My method of thinking could be way off, but that's how I understand it?

3. I agree with Shake. Get a transom saver. I figure mine cost me around $30-40 but look ath the money it could cost me if I have to tear out my transom and replace it? It is a pretty small price. Even though your boat is designed to take a motor of that size that does not mean that it is designed to hang that kind of weight on the transom and go bouncing down the highway. That motor puts a lot more stress on that transom while towing than it does in the water.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I use a transom saver for my 25hp motor on my 14' aluminum boat.

I would definately get one for the trip.

5. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i have one for my 40 hp on a 16 ft alum. its a small price to pay when you look at the cost of your boat and motor

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

this topic has been argued over on walleye central 1,000 times . both going pro and con. but ,i use 1 on my 40hp on any trips further than the 10 minutes to edgewater.

7. Thanks for the replies and PM's. I had to run out and buy one for $40 at Norton Marine at lunchtime. The thought of repairing a transom because I was too lazy to purchase and install a $40 item overcame me as a my 800+ mile trip to Canada ever so slowly approaches.