close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

transmission trouble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Jan 22, 2005.

1. I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, it has this problem with the transmission slipping when it is cold. It does not do it once I have been driving for a minute or two. Has anyone had a problem like this before that could give me a idea of what is going on. The car has 78,000 miles.

2. Have you checked the fluid level. Has the original tranny filter been replaced? Maybe it just needs new fluid... Drain it and replace with new fluid. Does the fluid smell burnt, If so could be a worse problem. :mad:

Hope I helped... :D

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

We have a 2002 Kia Optima and have the same problem as you do . I have taken it to about 5 dealers to have it checked out and they just keep telling me its normal ! :( I wont buy anouther one , I'll tell ya that .

4. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

i,m on my second Kia..........the wife drives it but have never had a problem with either one of them..........matter of fact i,m impressed with them but anyways correct me if i,m wrong but dosn,t it have a 100.000 mile drive train warranty? if it does don,t be shy about holding them ( the dealer ) to the fire......remember the sqeaky wheel gets the grease........... :cool:

5. that would be my first and easiest guess

have you had your auto tranny serviced at regular intervals?

6. We bought the car with 40,000 miles, and no we have not serviced ithe tranny at all. The fluid level is good and it does not smell burnt. How often does the filter need replaced? We take it to the dealership to get it serviced, when I asked I was told they could find nothing wrong.

Maybe I will try to change the fluid and filter.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

My guess would be the tranny filter and a fluid replacement. Ask a parts store clerk and they may be able to offer some more advice. I'm surprised the dealer gave the OK. Check around the web and see if other owners have been having that problem.

9. I believe the best way to service a tranny is to have it flushed and new oil with filter rather than just draining, refill and filter, I have followed this practice on all my vehicles at 40,000 mile intervals and have never had a tranny problem. Just my opinion but it seems to work. :)