close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transforming an aquarium into minnow tank

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ohiou_98, May 27, 2007.

1. I have a 55 gal. aquarium which I'm thinking of turning into a bait tank. (So I'll always have minnows at home.) I'm thinking of setting it up just like the bait shops, in other words, no fancy rocks, decorations, etc., just an empty tank. Does anyone have any tips for this as far as set up, filter, aerator? Any precautions?

2. I have a 10gal tank I'm using. I also have one for gills and chubs. I just put an air stone in with a pump and let them go. Change the water once a week or so since i have no filter. I keep mine in the basement. I was talking to a guy at one of the bait shops and he said they kept having problems with the minnows dying until they started putting a bag of ice in a day. Water has to be kept pretty cool. I don't have a thermometer on mine but that's why they are in the basement!

3. i use to use a 55 gal. tank to keep bluegill in for a day or so befor i went cat fishing but usually some of them died. snobal is right make shure that you keep them plenty cool and get them plenty of air. great way to keep bait.