close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transducer wire splicing?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ShakeDown, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Noticed the other day on my Garmin 240 that my temp was reading out of whack. After inspection, theres a cut in my transducer cable about 3 inches about the transducer. I'm not sure what kind of "wire" or whatever is used in the cable, but is it possible to fix, or do I need a whole new transducer/cable?

TIA.

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I've always heard you can't splice a transducer cable, and Garmin specifically states this in their manuals. Might want to give them a call though.

3. ShakeDown

Grrr...I kinda figured. I'll give them a ring..thanks Roger.

4. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

I spliced the entire transducer on my old boat. This was on a Hummingbird. I read it couldn't be done but I had nothing to lose. It's still working today.

-Jeff

5. ShakeDown

Is it just a normal everyday wire? Or are we talkin like fiber type stuff.

6. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

I should be normal type wire. And as Sporty stated if it is not working now, and you have to get a entire new transducer anyway, give it a try as you have nothing to lose.......Stretch

7. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Lowrance said that it couldn't be done but I have done it, theres just a shield and a single wire, I would shrinkwrap it good, my last one I couldn't repair because it was busted off at the transducer, give it a try you might save $60.00 bucks..........Doc

8. ShakeDown

Just a heads up....I did my Garmin, works like a champ!

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

like everything they just tell ya that so you will buy a new one and alot of people don't know how to do a splice correctly. But if you splice it good and heat shrink it good you should have no problems.

10. ShakeDown

Spliced all 5 tiny wires, used shrink tubing, and siliconed the splice generously :D