Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the other day on my Garmin 240 that my temp was reading out of whack. After inspection, theres a cut in my transducer cable about 3 inches about the transducer. I'm not sure what kind of "wire" or whatever is used in the cable, but is it possible to fix, or do I need a whole new transducer/cable?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I've always heard you can't splice a transducer cable, and Garmin specifically states this in their manuals. Might want to give them a call though.

·
OGF Team - Charter Member
1,853 Posts
I spliced the entire transducer on my old boat. This was on a Hummingbird. I read it couldn't be done but I had nothing to lose. It's still working today.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it just a normal everyday wire? Or are we talkin like fiber type stuff.

·
Wishin I was fishin
1,063 Posts
I should be normal type wire. And as Sporty stated if it is not working now, and you have to get a entire new transducer anyway, give it a try as you have nothing to lose.......Stretch

·
CJ Cat Attack Pack
1,802 Posts
Lowrance said that it couldn't be done but I have done it, theres just a shield and a single wire, I would shrinkwrap it good, my last one I couldn't repair because it was busted off at the transducer, give it a try you might save $60.00 bucks..........Doc

·
Relaxing.
5,750 Posts
like everything they just tell ya that so you will buy a new one and alot of people don't know how to do a splice correctly. But if you splice it good and heat shrink it good you should have no problems.

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spliced all 5 tiny wires, used shrink tubing, and siliconed the splice generously :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts