close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transducer.....Transom or Shoot-through hull????

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by MAINAH, Mar 21, 2005.

1. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I'm getting ready to install my FF and am curious on where to mount the transducer. It will be on my 14ft alum, with a 9.9 merc. the instrustions say to mount it at least 1 ft away from the prop (the cavitation will mess with the trans.) I dont have a foot, not with out risking breaking it off when I trailer the boat. I think I would be ok mounting it closer to the prop, seing that I will be using the FF while anchored, drifting or under power of the trolling motor in the bow. But I am also looking at the possibility of the shoot through option, but the instructions only mention doing this on fiberglass boats. can it be done on an alum boat? Any input is good input, Thanks as always.

2. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Mainah,
    I wouldnt be so quick to jump at this conclusion. Because really, you are using your depth finder for 2 seperate reasons.
    1) - Locate Fish....
    2)- Locate Structure
    One of my favorite things to do is cruise (fast) across a body of water and just looking/studying the bottom structure.
    Structure = Fish = :)
    My advice to you is never pass up the opportunity to really "Learn" a lake. I can tell you that we have found some very interesting structure while on our way back to the dock, going 35mph.
    Personally, I think you would be missing way too much valuable information if you had a unit that you could only use while your trolling motor is down.
    I say you go with the Thru-Hull transducer... :D

3. Shoot thru has never really been an option with aluminum, but Vexilar has come out with one that will go through aluminum. However, the one you have will not work. I agree with Reel Lady, you'll want to be able to use it under power. Without seeing your set up, I don't know what might work, but perhaps you can rig up a mount that will fold up when trailoring.

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

vexilar came out with a ducer that will shoot through alum. plan on droppin 100.00 for it.

5. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

if it's not easy to put it on the back of the boat , put it on the trolling motor