Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i think i need to relocate my transducer, i have mine located at the farthest left edge of the motor but i get alot of turbulance at alot of speeds. from the flat bottoms i've seen they have their transducer located about half way between their motor and the edge of the boat. the first picture is my current set up, from behind the boat, the block in the middle would be my "motor" and the red block being my "transducer" the second picture is the set up i think i need to be running, any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Is it mounted at the correct distance below the hull per instructions?

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all instructions said was the transducer should be slightly under the hull. its about 1/2 inch to 1 inch below the hull

·
Registered
558 Posts
You want the transducer in the cleanest flow of water you can find. Because of prop torque the transducer should be at least 12" to the right of the motor. On an aluminum boat you do not want the transducer behind any ribs and try to mount it between any rivets.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I have mine mounted like pic 2. I think every boat is a little different. I still get turbulence, but it works until I'm on plane.

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the input guys, i'll see how much distance i can get to the left of the motor without being too close to the edge of the boat, i honestly think that the wrap around flow of water on the back edge is giving me my turbulence. the minimum of 12 inches is good to know. I also think the fact of my motor being a short shaft having alot to do with it also, my prop is only about 5 or 6 inches under the hull.

·
The one others want to be
2,235 Posts
The prop shouldn't cause any turbulence as it's behind the transducer. The water coming "off" the hull should be the smoothest you can find. Like Ken said, between ribs and not in line with rivets.

Or you can try an Alumaducer which mounts inside the boat in the bilge area and shoots thru the hull. http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories/accy_transducers_au.html

No issues with turbulence or hitting stuff. You can move the piece around in the hull first to find a good spot and then epoxy it in place. They work very well. I've even put the Skimmer transducer that came with my Lowrance in the water in the bottom of my Sea Nymph and it read fine as long as it was in contact with the bottom of the hull.

Once you try a shoot-thru, you'll never go back to a transom mount.

UFM82

1 - 7 of 7 Posts