close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Transducer Problems

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ra0035, May 19, 2007.

1. Ra0035

Ra0035 Member

I have an 18' Fiberglass bass boat, the boat original came with a flasher/sounder with the transducer mounted to the hull with apoxy. This year I purchased 2 new Humminbird finders one for the bow and one w/ GPS by the cockpit. So anyways I purchased the hull transducers from Humminbird and installed them, using there instructions and now I've got 2 transducers epoxied to the bottom of my boat and neither work? So my questions is has anybody every had this problem? What should I do?

2. Need more detail. Will they work individually? Are they pointed straight down? What do you see on the display? Most new Humminbirds will tell you no transducer is connected if there is a problem with the transducer.

3. Ra0035

Ra0035 Member

They work sometimes, they will give the correct depth, but no structure or anything (I was in 11 feet of water and it would bounce fron 11 to 1200).

They are the model 565 and the Matrix 67.

They are pointed straight down

4. Sorry for the stupid questions? Do you have the transducers mixed or the gains too high?

5. cw261

cw261 Member

You say that you bought 2 hull transducers, so I would guess they are the ones designed to shoot through the hull of the boat. Maybe you've got some air trapped in the epoxy when you installed them?

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

You can't run them at the same time, one will interfere with the other.

7. Ra0035

Ra0035 Member

So if I cant use them both what do are my options? How do I get the transducers off the hull if I epoxied them?

8. KaGee

Let's get the facts straight... Are you using both at the same time?

9. Ra0035

Ra0035 Member

So Kagee, what your saying is I can never run the two at the same time? How do the new bass boats that have two work?
    Does anybody know how to remove an epoxied tranducer off a hull?
    Does anybody know where I can purchase new transducers (transom and trolling mounts) Humminbird takes too long to ship and I need this this weekend?

10. KaGee

Most dual set-ups utilize a transducer switch, switching between head units.

Why don't you give Hummingbird a call and talk to the experts?

Try Gander Mountain and Cabellas has Hummingbird transducers also.

11. Normally the bow mount transducer is attached to the Trolling Motor shaft and the cockpit transducer is mounted on the hull. As far as removing the bow mount transducer from the hull forget it. The bow mount used on the trolling motor will require a different type of transducer with a bracket kit. Good luck finding one before the weekend. Start calling around boat shops outdoor stores anyone who would sell them. When you are using your trolling motor and fishing turn off the cockpit unit and vise/versa. Good luck. Check them out at BPS online possible next day delivery if it is that important.