transducer clicking

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Pike, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Pike

Pike

I have a lowrance x87 connected through a Minn Kota trolling motor and there is an audible clicking sound when I run the fish finder. Two questions...1. If I can hear it, does it effect the fishing? 2. Can I make it stop?

Thanks in advance.

Pike

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

That's what it's supposed to do...It's a sonar unit...! The clicking sound is what bounces off any object between the boat and the bottom. This echo is what comes back to the transducer unit to indicate a fish between you and the bottom. It kinda sounds like an electronic spark fron a gas grill, right...!
    I wouldn't change a thing, unless of course you can no longer hear it...! :D And the fish won't mind the sound since you won't catch it anyway. You'll catch the other one's in the area since he's already on to you...!

Oh yeah...the icon you see on the screen is based on the air bladder...!

3. hooks right on, and some say the click atracts fish , who knows , but its normal.

4. I can hear mine while it is out of the water but not once it is submerged. However I did have an incident a couple of years back where the mice had chewed partially through my transducer cable and the click was audible through there. The FF didn't work very well either until I taped up the exposed part of the cable. So if your FF is working fine I would say that Rodney nailed it. If you are having some problems with the FF then check the cable.

5. To answer your second question, yes you can make it stop. All you have to do is depress the "ON/OFF" sound button on the bottom of your unit for about 3 seconds. I guarantee you will not hear it then. :p

6. Pike

Pike

Thanks guys, I have had several fish finders over the years, just never heard one clicking before. I was also looking for an excuse for my not so hot spring Muskie fishing at Caesar's Creek...Big_B, I saw where you are off to a little better start. Good work!

Hook N Book...You showed me how to "zip" my walleye fillets at Turtle Creek, thanks. That makes a lot of sense, wish I would have picked up on that years ago. I think I am heading back up there this weekend to give it a go again.

Pike

7. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I remember you...I had no idea you where a member here. :) Were you at the gathering...???

Another little tidbit that could help you at the table is to stop your fillet cut short about .5"-1" from the tale. Then use the fish as leverage to take the skin off the fillet...works great and speeds the process too...! :D

BTW...don't be shy next time...! ;)

8. Thats fish tapping on the underside of your boat...:)

9. These guys have it right. The sound of the transducer is called "ping".

Tim

10. Pike

Pike

Hook N Book, I was at the gathering for a little while, met a few others. I should have introduced myself to you. I saw that you were wearing an OGF hat, then I saw the big bengals sticker on you truck and figured it out. Heard you on the radio as well, you seemed to be one of the people willing to share information on the trolling bite. I hope to get some trolling in this weekend and find some bigger fish if the weather behaves.

Thanks for everyones responses on the "clicking". Sounds like it was bothering me more than the fish. Unless of course I get skunked, then I will contue to blame the fish finder.

Pike

11. still casting

still casting Them Boys

What if you never notice the noise before but just start hearing it on your last time out? And what to do if your unit has not on/off button on the bottom I have a Lowrance 57 unit.