close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trailor issues

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fish4Fun, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Had to jack up the trailor and wedge a pcs of wood inbetween the frame and the broken leaf spring to drive out to dads.
    We got the boat off the trailor today using dad car lift and got the whole axel out from under the trailor. Everything is taken apart and going to do the wheel bearings and all while have it apart iam on the way to work now and going to stop and check on springs and parts.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Boy some guys have all the luck! :D By all means get new springs while you have ot apart.

3. Wow, Jerry! I guess my suspension problem rubbed off on you. You're fortunate that you have the equipment and knowledge to fix the problem yourself. Good luck!

Scott

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Broken leaf springs...sounds ALL too familiar, doesn't it Dale :D

5. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Oh Boy,
    That brings back bad memories of a broken spring in Loiusville, Kentucky and the guy standing there with the wrench in his hand saying, your going to have to leave it overnight, I hate potholes................Doc

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Well like said its all in pcs, i got the new springs they will be here monday, 2 new springs all the hardware. I made new steel plates for the u bolts tonight at work. Going out tomorrow to dads to take apart the axel and put in new bearings everything new while i have it completly apart. I should be back on the water by wed.

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Jerry, just make sure you install them the proper way! Right Shake :rolleyes:

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

didn't know they could be installed wrong. Oh wait i see we are talking about shake i understand now. LOL.....

9. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Well to be honest, they were not installed wrong, they were just not installed right :D

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

For all the guys that have never done this or ever repacked there bearings stay tuned. I am going to take some good pictures and will give a full explenation on how to do it with pictures to the best of my ability. Got the axel all apart today and just sandblasted the hubs and repainted at work will press in the bearing races and have the axel all back together by monday if time permits since i have to work this weekend.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

12. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

heres axel with the hub and tire removed.
    [​IMG]
    Here are all the componets in the hub. starting at the left you have bearing buddy, cotter key, nut, bearing, bearing race. The back site is the same except that instead of the bearing buddy you have a seal.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the trailer in pcs.
    [​IMG]

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Alright the SS Fish4Fun is ready to hit the water agian got her all back together today will probably hit knox in the morning. She trailers nice and smooth with the new bearings and springs. Total cost for rebuild was $45 in bearings and new lung nuts and Grease, $75 in new leaf springs and new mounting hardware.

14. thats great.