close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailering Outboard?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by WPM, Sep 6, 2008.

1. WPM

WPM

I have an older 14ft Sea Nymph that I've rarely used with a gas motor, but I'm going to Canada in a few weeks and want to use it with a 7.5 hp Gamefisher outboard. Should I be able to trailer this rig with the motor mounted on the transom? I think my trailer is sufficiently high that the motor could ride in the down position, but my concern is for the transom itself, which is pretty simple and not overly sturdy. I've considered a transom saver, but I'm not sure if that would completely solve the problem of weight on the transom.
    Appreciate the benefit of anyone's experience.

WPM

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you have the ground clearance,there shouldn't be a problem.the motor doesn't weigh that much to damage the transom.you could always just haul it in the vehicle or boat and mount it when you reach your destination
    if you are in doubt of the sturdiness of the transom,it probably wouldn't be wise to even use the motor unless you beef it up.
    how is the transom constructed?

3. question why the concern about the transom? its aluminum with a wood backing plate . it should carry that motor with no problem. if your still concerned? put it in the boat , wrap a old throw rug around it and go, be safe . [p/s my first real boat was a sea nymph one great boat. ,it made a good meny trips across the border with a merc 9.9. never a problem. ]

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

should be ok as long as your not going down any logging roads?

5. I always use a transom saver when moving the boat. But a 7.5 hp should be OK.

Attached Files:

• ts.jpeg
      ts.jpeg
      File size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
  6. WPM

WPM

The transom is pretty much as Bountyhunter describes - a piece of wood front and back -and I will say it has seemed strong enough the few times I have run the motor. On those occasions, I carried the motor on the floor with some padding, but on this trip I'll have a lot more stuff packed in the boat and I was thinking having more weight behind the trailer wheels might be a good idea. We're going to the Rideau Canal area which I gather is 8 or 9 hours - almost all freeway.
    My buddy says that if I use the transom, I should put a tensioning strap around the motor to the back seat to keep the motor's weight from pulling backwards on the transom - sort of a poor man's transom saver. That sort of makes sense to me, but I'm not sure it would be necessary with the motor in the running position.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if the wood is good,the motor should ride fine.

8. ok, now we got some more info, your going to load the boat with equipt , be very careful do this, don;t over load , your tires are small and meny times more than the car tire , and heat up real fast . and for every bodies safty . IF THERE CARISLE TIRES get them OFF ,there junk , take too spares . and the proper tools to change tires . also I carry a complete hub and bearing set already to slide on , greased and ready , put it in a couple plastic shopping bags , have and catch that record fish . good fishin/BH

9. I agree that a small 7.5 HP should ride fine but I would personally get a transom saver as an added security. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. It is not really the weight of the motor itself that is an issue but the bouncing of that weight. It could potentially weaken the transom or cause damage to the motor itself with constant bouncing. The other option is to simply haul the motor in the boat itself. A 7.5 HP would be easy to put back on when you get there. You will not(should not) be loading the boat with enough gear that the motor will not have room to lay inside.

10. WPM

WPM

Many good points here (several I hadn't considered).

On balance, I think I'll go with the motor in the boat and shift some of the planned weight into the car. I'm glad to say that I do have spare tires - not that I want to be using them!
    Hopefully, I'll be able to post a "no incident" report here (and a good fishing report on the Out-of-State page when we return.

WPM

11. WPM

WPM

Our trip to the 1000 Islands encountered no problems (except for lousy fishing weather!). I tried to reduce the amount of gear carried in the 14 ftr., but still had it loaded more heavily than ever before. However, the trailer tires (checked at every stop) were never more than mildly warm, so I guess I definitely did not overload it.
    For what it's worth, we saw lots and lots of boats that size trailering around the area and almost every one had the outboard mounted.
    Among those boats were some 14 ft "Widebody" models by Legend boats - which, I gather, is a Canadian company - they looked really spacious and appeared to be able to handle near-shore fishing in Lake Erie. Anyone have any experience with that type of boat?

WPM

12. i would take a wheel bearing kit and a grease gun too....maybe even a new hub.....just in case......