Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 11" jon boat with trailer, but my van has no wiring to hook the trailer into for brake lights, i called the dealer and they said they could hard wire it for me, but it would cost at least $150. So befor i paid that cash for that i was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions. the wiring on the trailer has 5 wires black, white, yellow, brown, and green(or blue cant remember). My van is a 1998 GMC Savana 1500 THANKS

This boat sitting in storage is killing me.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
but my van has no wiring to hook the trailer into for brake lights
i'm not sure what you mean byt that:confused:
wiring on the van has to have a lead for brake lights.
also,most trailers only require a 4 wire harness,so i assume the black wire is for vehicles with seperate brake/turn signals,and not needed(unless the trailer has seperate brake/turn lights).
if your van has amber turn signals(seperate from brake lights)you'll need a converter and harness for the van.the converter wires between the van wiring and harness to drop it from a 5 wire to 4 wire setup for trailer.
harness and converter should cost no more than 25 bucks.
standard wiring is brown for tailights,white for ground and green for right brake/turn,yellow for left brake/turn.

now,if the trailer does by chance have seperate brake/turn lights,you will only need a 5 wire harness to hook to the van.

one more thing.i'm assuming you don't have a factory plug in the van wiring for a harness,which nulifies all the above:D ;)

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
call autozone...they should have a set that plugs into your vans harness behind bumper

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
take it to a u haul dealer. takes 15 minutes and about $20/$25. my safari van has the hook up in the jack storage compartment.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
went to autozone the guy went outside to see what i needed, and said he counldt help me cause theres no wiring for the harness? Im stuck.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i'm guessing he didn't find a plug for the harness.you'll need to do as suggested in my first post.get the other section of harness to match what you have on the railer.get a converter.splice the harness into van wiring.you will have to trace the van wiring to each light.and install per instructions with harness.a 12 v. tester may come in handy to trace wires.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Check your owner's manual and then find a new Autozone store. I recently bought an older Astro Van and I saw in the book that the wiring pigtail for the trailer harness is behind a panel in the rear of the van on the right side. I think the jack is there also. Your GMC van might be set up the same way.

Once you find it you won't have to cut, splice, or trace any wires. The adaptor will plug right in. Here's one at Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...itialvehicleId,2392203/shopping/selectZip.htm

Napa has one also: http://www.napaautoparts.com/master...on=Trailer+Wire+Harness+Adapter+-+Tow+Vehicle

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey u guys were right, it was on the inside behind the jack, Thank u guys. Now i just have to order my part. THANK everyone for the help.

·
Registered
680 Posts
they sure make it a lot easier nowadays hooking up a trailer. I'm showing my age but I remember having to do the splicing in the past. It was a challenge to get everything working right.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree fishinjim! It was even worse on my 86 camaro with seperate turn/brake lights. The inverter I needed had to be powered from the battery due to my other electrical accessories!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts