close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trailer weighting???

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by freyedknot, Sep 2, 2005.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

a guy at work baught a boat . they told him to weigh the trailer. well he weighed it with boat & motor. and his trailer plates for a 16 ft trailer came to $67.00. way too much $???? how can he now get it regestered for the right weight of the trailer only weight to lower the yearly cost??? how do you guys do this if your not close to a lake to drop the boat off the trailer.

2. Well If Your Not Close To A Lake I Guess Its Cheaper To Drive Further Drop Off The Boat Off An Go Weigh The Trailor......

3. I was lucky with my boat, 16ft alum. starcraft, the motor was off and I just set it on the ground. I would never think of doing that with a glass boat. Trailer weight 380lbs, tilt trailer. Tags cost 36 bucks.

4. freyedknot

the guy at work weighed it all together .it is an i/o too. weight came out to almost 3000 lband they rocked him$76.00 for trailer plates. can he get it reweighed with just the trailer and get the price of his plates corrected????or is he going to have to pay$67.00 every year???

5. Im Not Sure..he Will Have To Call The License Bureau For That////

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

He should only have to pay for the weight of the trailer. You can get a weigh slip at a number of places. Gravel yards, feed stores, and a bunch of other places. Maybe find one close to a lake, drop the boat in, have someone wait with the boat, and go get the trailer weighed.

I believe the weight of both my trailers are listed on the title, have him check his.

7. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

If he can get the registration from the previous owner he can use that to verify the weight.

8. freyedknot

he weighed the boat motor and trailer all together and now is paying way too much for his plates,because they charge by the weight. now,how does he get out of this mess?????

9. Ask Bush,he Might Know..really Though He Will Just Have To Call Em An See

10. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

He might be stuck with the higher fees until he registers it next year. The trailer for my Lake Erie boat weighs 1400# (trailer only), and cost me $45.21 a year for the tags.

I doubt if the state BMV will give him a "rebate" if he goes in with the corrected weight, but you never know.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto on the above.shouldn't be a problem next time,if he weighs it again,and explains the mixup.probably not gonna help this time though.but i'd try anyway.all they can say is no ;)

12. fishon

fishon The Polish Bull

we had to do the same thing but we subtracted the weight of our boat and motor and had the guy @ the weighin station to see were we cam up with out figures confrim it also... get ours for 1250... 37 bucks i think it was...

13. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Try to find a boat dealership that is also a Deputy Registar. Have them to look up the weight for that model year trailer and length. They would then issue you a weight slip for the trailer. As someone else mentioned, it's to late to be corrected this year but next year you should be okay.