close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer Tires?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ShakeDown, May 1, 2005.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

On the way back from TN today, I felt the trailer shakin like a beast down 71, pulled over, and noticed my trailer tire tread had completely separated from the steel belt.

Doing a search on Carlisle tires, I came up with some pretty bad reviews on them as well as others like Goodyear Marathons. Has anyone had better luck with a specific brand/model? I just want to make sure before I replace the tire with another Carlisle, that I'm not better off taking the opportunity to switch em out.

My trailer sees a LOT of miles, and carries a good 3500 lbs of boat/motor.

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Shake....I have heard nothing but bad reviews on Carlilse tires.
    There was a large thread on WC a while back with tons of complaints.

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Shake , I will never use anything but Good Year ever again . I had a set that lasted almost 9 years on my trailer ! I just replaced them last year with new Marathons last fall .

4. I got rid of my Carlyes several years ago after a tire failure. It's Goodyear Marathons only for me.

5. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

If you dont want the white lettering on them , I would buy them from www.tirerack.com . They have the absolute best price . If you prefer to have the white letter tires , I would go to Salts Tire , they had the best price on those and were local .

6. ShakeDown

Thanks guys. I'll pick up some marathons and hope for the best :)

7. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

to rotate n flip the leaf springs :D

sowbelly

8. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Something most guys never think of....have your trailer tires high speed balanced.
    It increases tire life and does not shake every screw loose in your boat! :D

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've used Carlisle tires as long as I can remember on all of my trailers (two campers, atv trailer, two boats, and two utility trailers), and have never had a tire failure.

10. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I had three blowouts on Carlisle's, two were covered by warrenty,the steel belt had seperated on both of them this last one a piece of angle iron fell off a truck and tried to crawl across the highway, third blown tire, I now have Marathons on the trailer, bit higher but I put a lot of miles on my trailer, I think they are worth the extra.

11. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

sowbelly, rotate and flip the springs?? never heard of that??

12. Shake
    As Hydro menntioned
    Just received my new Marathons frome the Tire Rack took 2 days to receive them here's the link no complaints what so ever
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes...Marathon+Radial geowol

13. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I had the same problems as many of you.

I switched to the Marathons 2 years ago and have eliminated my yearly tire issues

14. ShakeDown

Freyed...he's trying to be cute :D My previous trailer had some "custom" leaf spring work done on it, which was the equivalent of putting on a 8" lift kit. He's a bustin my balls about it ;)

Ordering the marathon's today! Thanks fellas.

15. ShakeDown

Actually, Walmart has em too. They are $2 more a tire, but considering walmart only charges $10 to mount/balance (everyone else wants atleast 15-20$ a wheel) sounds like wally world is the way to go.

16. ShakeDown

Just a heads up, in the event anyone needs some marathons in the future.

Walmart had the best local price, and $68 and change (per tire) with mounting and roadside protection @ $10 a tire. I called NTB just to check prices, and they were quite higher. Told them Walmart's price, and they offered to beat it, which they did by about $5. So I'm getting 2 marathons (blackwall) mounted/balanced with roadside protection for $154 + tax. That's even better than what I found online.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

17. single or tandom axle trailer? Check your wieght on the side walls and do the math vs. wieght of rig. Got in a discussion in a parking lot of a tournament on Carlisle and Goodyear. The guys that were having or had tire problems either were overrated on thier tires or very close to it. That being said, I have never had a problem on Goodyears and i average over 10,000 miles a year towing a 4000# rig. You can also double the life of your tires by using a UV cover while your boat is sitting. You can pick them up at most camper or trailer stores.

18. ShakeDown

Single axle. My boat is stored in the garage when it's not on the water, but I did order the highest load marathons my wheels could take.

19. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Erie Addict, excellent point on the load rating.

20. I can tell you this, When I was buying my boat ,the dealer asked me to think about upgrading the trailer to a tandem with brakes. I have know this dealer since I was a kid, So i wasn't concerned about them taking me for a ride. I asked them why? The single axle trailer and tires were rated at 4,000 #, Boat rigged with motor wieghed 3,000 #. No problem or so i thought. Add, Oil, gas(50 gallons), 4 batteries, anchor, chain and rode, Tackle (i have at least 1 box for every species that might swim), rods and trolling gear and any thing else you might carry in your boat, and you will find you get to 4000# real quick. Then add in going over a bump or railroad tracks and the wieght can quickly double on your tires. I might only be for a quick moment but it is enough to break belts and damage tires or trailer springs. Ended up goin with a tandem axle rated at 6000#. No problem so farand tows like a dream. Don't skimp on the trailer, your hull sits on it 90% of the time.