close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer tires-bias ply to radial

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Lewzer, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

My trailer had the 12" 480 bias ply tires when it was new. I blew one on the highway within a year so I put the 510 bias ply tires on to handle the weight.
    These don't last as long as I would like and I don't trust them on long trips so I would like to find a radial tire that would fit.
    I was told the Ford Fiesta tires are 12" and they would fit on my bias ply rim.
    I saw the Marathon radials but the smallest they make are the 13" tires.
    Anyone know where I can get a radial 12" tire to fit the trailer?
    Are bias ply tire rims with an innertube the same as a radial tire rim?

2. I can't help you as to where to find 12" radials but do not put car tires on a boat trailer. Trailer tires have reinforced sides to handle the load where auto tires do not. The rims are no different for bias or radials.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I realize that in many cases going to a larger tire simply isn't possible, but going with a larger tire sure does add that extra level of security. I run 14's on my boat and have given serious thought to going to 15's, but they will raise me up a bit more and make it that much tougher to launch and load. It's a dilemna.

As stated above, trailer tires are different from car tires in that the sidewalls are heavier than a regular tire. This helps keep sway to a minimum. However, if you are towing a light boat, and I'll assume you are if you have 12" tires, I don't see why a car tire wouldn't work. How big is your boat? Weight? If it's under 1,000 lbs, I would buy the 12" car radials and be done with it.

my 2¢ worth

UFM82

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i had a similar problem .my st165x80x13 are no longer made and the tire man here in cleveland said to go to st175 tires or he could put a car tire on of the st165 size. seems as though the car tire would hold up a lot better.but i got carlisle st17580x13 for $54.00 mounted on my rims and put on my trailer. took the boat to him and let him put them on @no extra charge .good deal

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Here's pics of the boat and trailer. Boat weighs 490 Lb. and with the batteries, gas and trolling motor plus all the lead (weights) I figure the total weight is about 1000lb.

[​IMG]

I don't think 13" tires will fit under the welded wheel covers

[​IMG]

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i just had the same problem with my fenders. had to re rig the fenders ,and raise them up.