close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer tire question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bronzebackyac, Jul 6, 2007.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I currently need to replace the tires on my small boat trailer. They have started to leak and are dry rotting. My question is this. Could I replace the old 8'' rims with 12'' rims without any problems? Would this be beneficial? The trailer is hauling a 14 ft jon boat. It does have fenders, but the bigger size setup should work, right? Any thoughts would be great. I am not sure if the bigger rim means bigger overall diameter or not. I don't have a lot of extra room in the fenders but some. THanks in advance. Joe

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i had to go with bigger tires and it was a real pain to reposition my fenders.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's probably the biggest problem you'll encounter.it could also throw the trailer out of balance.it should ride as close to level as possible,and if it does now,you may have to readjust your hitch,as you will gain between 2-3 inches of ground clearance at the axle.it does help with grund clearance of your motor though.it does decrease(to an extent) wear on tires/bearings,but if you don't take long trips it really isn't a big deal.you can probably accomplish the same thing(to a lesser degree) by going with taller 8 inch tires,depending on the present size,without interfering with fenders.

4. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Thanks guys,

I ended up just buying two new 8'' rims with tires at wally world for 26 bucks each. It was $25 each for new tires put on the old rims at a local tire shop. Now I have a spare tire and rim that I can use if one of these goes out on me. I don't do long trips so these should be OK. Any tips for mounting the spare rim and tire on the trailer? I was thinking that they make a spare mount for the tongue.