close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer lights...

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fishpro, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

O.k., I have turn signals and brake lights, but no running lights on my trailer. I checked the wires and found one cut and fixed it. I replaced the bulbs and still don't have running lights. Any ideas on what I could be overlooking? The ground is pretty rusted, should I take a wire brush to that? Could that be the problem?

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

99 % of all trouble is the ground , but i would check your plug comming out of your vehicle first ,then work backwards. are your side markers working? i just had a problem and found out that if i use my trailer bunk hardware for my ground it works much better and will not rust.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'd make sure the ground is good,but check the brown wire again for bad spots.if brake/turns are working,it's possible/likely the common to the tails is bad somewhere.

4. I just had the exact opposite problem. I had running lights and nothing else. I did a search on this forum, and just as freyed said, 99 percent of the time it is the ground. I had brushed a half dollar sized area clean to bare metal for the basic ground, but still had the problem. (BTW the lights were working fine last year-havent used this trailer this year).

As suggested on previous posts here, and from a friend who is an electrician, I ran a seperate ground from the brown wire at the lights directly into the white wire which runs into the plug for the trailer. Solved the problem.

I would like to add, I really appreciate all of the info I have received from the members here. I have learned alot. The small details can mean everything.

Good luck Pro, hope this helps.

5. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Thanks guys, I'll go out here after dinner and check those wires again.;)