close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trailer lights

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by FISH OR DIE, Aug 5, 2005.

1. My light on my trailer keep blowing fuses, I rewired 3 to 4 times and they will work for a week or so then start blowing again! I unplug before I enter the water and plug in when i'm leaving the ramp site but still blowing fuses ! funny thing is that when I plug in to leave the water the lights come on fine I'll drive 4 to 6 mile and look back and I see the lights dimming down down down then there off and its sometimes just the driving lights only the brake and turn plus hazzards work. The last time the driving lights went and the brakes went shortly after, what could it be?

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I never unplugged my lights. The theory about the cold vs hot is false, otherwise they'd blow everytime you hit your brakes in the winter time.
    So far as your short, start with the ground wire. That's where I always had my problem. It corrodes on the truck or on the trailer. Next, you'll have to just check all the wires and see if you might have worn a bare spot somewhere. Also all the connections and fixtures for wear, cracks, etc.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you're blowing fuses only when trailer is attached,it's more likely a dead short somewhere in the harness,than a bad ground.could be caused from pinched wires,hot wires grounding to frame,etc.
    i recently had the same problem,which was caused by the ground and hot wire pinched by the hitch,and occasionally shorting out.
    new harness and no more problem.

now my trailer lights occasionally go off and back on,which is due to a bad grounding bond at the hitch,because i don't have a continous ground through the harness to my truck :rolleyes:
    but that's an easy fix :)

4. Personally, I would be looking for a short in the trailer wiring. The harness on the tow vehicle would cause the fuse to blow with or without the trailer attached unless it is too short and binding on turns or something like that.

5. Definately a short circuit.

Could be within a light or along a wire.

Check out with a meter, Jiggle wires and lights.