close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer Lights Problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by perry, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Got a slight problem with my trailer lights that I am going to get to this evening after work.

Was hoping that you all could point out where my problem might be.

Tow Vehicle has no problems, but the left turn signal/brake light on both of my trailers do not work at all.

Suggestions?

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Start simple. Try the light bulbs. Then the ground on the trailers. If that doesn;t work a light kit complete with new harness, lights and wiring runs about $20.00. Sometimes it's just not worth the time to hunt down a short.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sounds like a bad connection or wire on the tow vehicle if it's the same problem on both trailers.

4. The first rule of thumb that I have learned to live by is check your grounds... I started a post pertaining to the ground but now that I re-read your post I will change my direction. If both trailers are behaving the same way then I would guess that it is in the plug at the towing vehicle or the wplincing that was done to get to the plug. I believe someone posted on here a while back a diagram of the wire colors and what goes where. That would be a good source to track down the problem. But nevertheless, I would take a good look at how that plug connects in to the vehicle's wiring.

5. Get a test light and make sure its good, I have had bad ones ruin a whole day. Check the plug on the truck for the left side. Just check the colored wires at the light on the trailer and match them up. If it is in the truck trace back or replace. if it is in the trailer, just replace it all.

Scott

6. Crankus,
    You are thinking what I was initially. I was assuming ground problems but as he stated, he has two trailers doing the same thing. I am betting on the plug.

Take a close look at the pins on the plug. Sometimes they can rust and keep you from getting a good connection.

7. crankus_maximus

I get that grease that is good for electrical stuff and coat my wiring harnesses with it to keep them from corroding for that very reason.

I thought he said the truck checked out. Oh well, check all of the grounds. I am a fan of the new plug-in type harnesses. I had to order mine from pickups plus, but it took all of a whopping 5 minutes to open the package, read the directions and install.
    Worth a shot.

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Do the running lights work on the trailer? If nothing is coming from the truck it could be just a small fuse that is for trailer lights. That is how I solved my truck just a few weeks ago. cost $3

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I really hope I'm not right here.

But...

Check your turn signal fuses. They will be in your fuse box in your tow vehicle.

The only reason I say this is that I pulled my hair out thinking I had a trailer problem one year when my turn/breaking on one side of my trailer wouldn't work only to find that I had a blown fuse. Most trucks today are fused by the lights in the back end.

10. crankus_maximus

Captnroger - off topic, but is the avatar a goldie or a vizsla?

11. Update: Fixed this problem last night.

There was a loose split or something where the wires come from the front of the truck and Y off towards the taillights and the trailer lights. I wanted to search for the wire, but ended up just running a bypass from the live wire to the one that was dead. ;)

Turn Signals working!! - Now if it would just warm up so I could use my new boat.

Thanks for all your help!

12. What do you mean? The water is soft now.;) All you need is some raingear.

Oops make that a parka.

And don't forget the winter gloves.

And stocking cap.

And hand warmers.

Or on second thought you may be better off to hope for better weather.:D

I think there will be plenty of guys out wetting lines this weekend depite the weather.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yikes.i was right,for a change,lol.the wife will not believe it though :rolleyes: ;)
    i didn't sugest checking bulbs,because i was pretty sure i wasn't dealing with my brother-in law :rolleyes: :D