Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fishing fool
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a short somewhere in my trailer lights. I have a four prong, flat plug setup. When I plug them in, the fuse in the truck for the trailer parking lights blows - turn signals work - all marker lights and tail lights are out. With the plug disconnected from the truck, a meter shows a short in the parking/brake light line at the plug. Can't find any bare wires touching the trailer. Have disconnected all bulbs - still shows a short. Any ideas would be appreciated - I know I may have to rewire the trailer.

·
Akron
2,409 Posts
Remove your marker lights. There should be a splice there from the plug to the marker light and then to the tail light. Check those splices. If you find nothing, rewire. With the marker lights and the tail lights disconnected, tie a heavy string on both the wires at each taillight. At the plug pull the wires and the string out. Now attache the new wires to the stings and pull back to the tail lights.

·
fishing fool
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shad Rap - have had ground problems before - "usually" results in light not working but not a blown fuse. Meter shows a short somewhere in the system - just can't isolate it.
fishingguy - I think I'm going to splice in a new 4-pin plug and see if that fixes the problem - the brown/yellow pin on the plug is loose - however, I cut that wire and it still shows a short after the plug.
leeabu - trailer is 13 yrs old so may just go with a rewire.

Question - I have the old style rear lights with enclosed bulbs - have always had problems with them. Can anyone tell me, if I remove the whole light fixture, can I test the fixture with my meter to see if the short could be in one of the tail light units itself?

Thanks for your help - trailer problems are a PITA! And as someone said, they always show up when you hookup to go fishing and run your safety check - everything was working fine when you parked it - go figure.

·
Akron
2,409 Posts
Get a set of LED lights and a wiring harness at Harbor Freight. Rewire and replace the old lights with the LED lights. You will be glad you did!!!

·
fishing fool
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leeabu - if I have to rewire I am definitely going to go with LED's. Question: Can I mix the old style/bulb side marker lights with LED tail lights in the system?

·
CJ Cat Attack Pack
1,802 Posts
Gotta agree with Leeabu the harbor frieght lights are top of the line ledlights, I broke one of my tailights out on my trailer went to Harbor and found out there the same lights that my trailer manufactuer had with a triple upcharge, they wanted $104.00 for the same light that Harbor had, make sure you get the ones that are submergable they carry both of them. Item #94137 Haulmaster submergeable LED light kit on sale for $39.00 and it comes with everything you need. Just change everything out and you will never have another issue, other than people telling you how bright your taillights are when they follow you at night.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Blowing the fuse that quick indicates a hot wire grounding out somewhere,you can eliminate by pulling all bulbs from trl lites plug in trl lites to trk reinstall bulbs till one blows fuse u will find youre short.Tedious and frustrating.

·
fishing fool
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fishingguy - you nailed it.

Followup for future reference: found my problem to be a short in the 4-pin plug. Temporarily spliced in a new plug, removed all bulbs and short disappeared. Replaced one bulb at a time to make sure everything was ok. Didn't have to rewire or go to LED's (this time - ha,ha). One mistake I made originally was forgetting to disconnect the light bar on the back of the trailer under the boat. So, my meter was still showing a ground even after I cut the brown wire behind the plug. Wasted some time chasing a non-existent short until I remembered the light bar. Thanks everyone for you help.

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
I have rewired all my trailers with LED. Take the time to run a separate ground wire instead of grounding each light to the trailer frame. The separate ground wire WILL eliminate future ground problems. I also soldered all my splices and covered them with shrink tape and then a coat of liquid tape. Three years without any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts