Trailer Light question.(again!)

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fishpro, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

When you guys drop your boats in the water, or pull them out, do you unplug your wires before you back down the ramp? I'm blowning fuses and thats all I can figure is happening.

2. I can't imagine it would blow a fuse but anything is possible I guess. I know a lot of guys unplug to keep from blowing the bulbs out. A hot bulb and cold water don't mix too well. I switched mine over to LED and haven't had a problem since.

3. Fishpro

I had lights when I left home yesterday and when I pulled the boat at dusk, I only had the drivers side blinker and brake. I got home and sure enough, I blew 2 fuses.:(

4. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I always pull mine.

5. My last trailer used to blow the right turn signal fuse in my truck if I plugged in the trailer harness while the truck was running.

6. Fishpro

You know, I did that yesterday. I was in a hurry because it was already 4:00 in the afternoon and I was trying to save time. Hmmm....:D

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

me too, if i remember:eek:

8. Does this mean that your vehicle had no parking lights or pass. brake/turn signal as well? What is your tow vehicle and which fuses are you blowing? This might help to get a better response. I can't see only having one brake light due to a blown fuse. However, I can't stand working on factory automotive electrical issues for that reason. Nothing ever seems to make "common" sense! I'm sure somone on this board can be of some help though.

9. Sounds as though it's time for a new light set-up.

10. Fishpro

Each side has its own fuse, and the trailer has its own fuses different from the truck. Its a '98 Blazer. I'm thinking Het hit it on the head. I figure the sudden surge when I hooked it up with the truck running could have caused it.

11. Fishpro

They are. 4 weeks old.

12. I always unplug my trailer lights before backing in the water, if I remember.

13. Fishpro

I unplugged them today before I launched and they still work.:D

14. You think they would make some type of surge supressor for lights in these cases:rolleyes: Hmmm, maybe an idea. Glad to hear that works, just gotta remember !!!Mike

15. You said you launched, But, did you catch ? Inquiring minds want to know ! Mike

16. Fishpro

Nah..it was mostly a test run, I'm having motor issues again:mad: , and I was trying to figure out what the problems are.:confused: