close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer Light Problem

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishingful, Apr 19, 2005.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i put new lights on my trailer and am having problems with them ............at first i would turn on the turn signal and both lights would flash then nothing worked???? i have went over the instructions and cant find anything wrong with the way i put them on................i have it grounded at the toung and 2 wires run back to each light that plugs into color coded spots and then a ground from each light bolt to the trailer????.................any one got an idea whats wrong

thanks.............jim :confused:

2. check the ground on your truck..to do this put a pair of jumper cables from the truck frame and trailer frame and see if it solves your problem

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

try running a ground down each side to each light, we had to ground both lights before it would work for us, and yes, all the grounds that we tried seemed to work fine

4. I agree with Johnboy's suggestion on wiring a ground all the way back to the lights. I had the same problem once and found that the trailer was not giving me good enough continuity because the trailer had been taken apart and painted and then reassembled, thus separating the metal-to-metal that is needed.

BigJohn's suggestion is a good one as well to verify that you wiring is good back to the plug or wire harness. It may be too late to try this one but I had taken the whole light kit that I had purchased and laid it out on the ground behind the vehicle and hooked everything up before putting it on the trailer and was able to get everything working properly before installing. That way when I installed the lights and came up with a problem I knew it was in the trailer. At that point I ran the ground wires all the way back to the lights. You can also test this if you have a couple of wires that are long enough to run back to the light fixtures. You can put just lay them alongside the trailer and hook them up temporarily to test it before fishing them through the frame.

I hope this helps.

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

so ground them from the toung to the bolts on the back of the lights???

6. Yep! You got it.;) I just hook the wires coming from the bolts on the lights directly to the ground wire that you normally would mount onto the tongue. Hopefully that makes sense.