close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer Launch Returning

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by reel, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Was at Dempsey boat launch, Sandusky Bay this summer.

Upon returning from fishing, a pretty cool dude (probable an OGF'er) had his partner back their boat trailer into the water. Then he proceeded to hit this trailer with his boat while travelling about 5MPH+, Tied it down and was off in about a minute. No winch cranking up, no tie up at the float, no looking into space thinking about the situation, nothing else.

I have not had the nerve to try this yet. It was a thing of beauty.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Reel. You'll see most tournament guys do that. We can launch or load almost 50 boats in about 30 minutes using two ramps next to each other. It does take a little practice but after a few times you have it down pat and there is nothing to it.

3. The best thing I ever did, was order a 4 bunk Trailmaster trailer for my Lund. For the last 3 years , I have loaded my Lund exactly as you described. I realize that sometimes a roller trailer is best on shallow ramps, but I will never have another roller trailer. I have had people just stare in ah, when I load the Lund by myself. In three years, launching an average of 85 times a year, I missed 2 times, just back up and do it again. It has nothing to do with my ability to put the boat on the trailer, it is simply good equipment.

4. you have the right equipment. I too have a four bunk Trailmaster for my Lund and it makes one man loading very easy. I also had a roller trailer and the only time it was truly appreciated was launching off the Goat Path and beach at Piedmont. The key is to know how deep to set the trailer and then slowly motor in. Let the boat center itself then increase the throttle. Needless to say you need enough horsepower to do the job. It is much more difficult but not impossible with a two bunk trailer. Side guide boards also simplify the centering. Just go to a launch ramp when it is not crowded and have a buddy help you by showing how far you are away from the front bow stop. After a few try's you will have the needed confidence to judge amount of throttle needed for various ramp angles. In a few weeks you will be one of the captains that people admire. :)

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i powerload my boat all the time w/ a 2 bunk trailer and guide ons on the side. but i leave a foot to crank it home.

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I do the same but I usually don't have a partner with me. It's a lot quicker.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Now - I'll make you feel real bad. My wife can drive on my 14fter with a 9.9 on a 2-bunk trailer. We continue to amaze many people at Hoover, Griggs and O-Shay (Columbus area). Even if she misses a bit I can make it all better by a little lift here or there.

8. marcbodi

marcbodi junior member

Hi,
    I have rollers on my 2 boat trailers and have electric winches to pull the boat up with that way i'm not ruining the ramps.

9. Minor

Minor Wannabe Fisherman

I agree with shortdrift, the right equipment makes the job alot easier. The other key is knowing how to use your equipment and where to put the trailer depending on the ramp. I got my best laugh this summer when teaching the wife to load the boat at salt fork and bunch of guys who had obviously been drinking were laughing at my wife when she made her second attempt to load the boat. (God knows I better teach her how to load it, backing it up isn't ever gonna happen) She drove it right on, on the second try. Those same fellas laughing at her, ended up spending 45 mins loading there boat right after us . . . at one point they backed there full size van half way under water. Needless to say, my wife enjoyed watching them struggle.

Can't wait till spring . . .

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

My wife doesn't even want to drive the boat. She would rather learn the backing the trailer part. She doesn't do to bad. She knows she can get away with wrecking my truck, but if she ever hurt the boat all hell would break loose. lol

11. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

My dad and I used to load his 19 foot Rinker on the trailer by driving it up. Works great, but if you don't have a lot of power to get it to the block, this trick works great, keep a can of Pledge in the boat. Before you load your boat, spray 1 strip on each bunk. DO NOT use a lot of power because this will cause you to hit the block HARD.. it will slide up real easy without throttling up much at all. And, if you stop too soon, or need to back up (with dad's rinker, that was not gonna happen, either you did right the first time, or you re-launched and did it again) this method allows you to back off easily and close that last foot before tying down. Just a tip... hope it works.

12. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Thats funny ncraft! My wife cannot see our boat behind the truck (small boat), so she settle for driving the boat. Besides, when the boat gets bigger and faster and cooler she already knows her job. She wants more time behind the wheel :)