Trailer Fender Restoration

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by OSU_Fisherman, Mar 20, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I have an '89 Ranger 363V that sits on a matching trailer. The fenders used to match the gel coat on the boat, but time and UV exposure has these fenders looking dull...but I feel they have potential.
    In the areas under the boat and under the guide-ons, the fenders look just like the finish on the boat. Of course, it would be great if the whole fender could look like this.

My question is... what product do I use to achieve this look? Initially I was thinking that waxing it might do the trick, but now I'm thinking further products might be necessary.

Hopefully I can get some insight soon because it looks like my last days to work on the boat before school starts back (OSU) up are going to be saturday night and Sunday night.

2. I detail boats on the side. 3m has a good product out that is used to bring luster back to gel coat. Most waxes wont bring the color back you need to use a cleaner or compound then wax.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

If the fenders are metal, repainting is the only solution. You cannot restore faded paint to original. The sun has done a number on it.

4. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

paston1, thank you very much for the suggestion. I went by Gander Mountain today and picked up a bottle of the 3M Restore in the marine section. Got back home and rubbed it all over the fenders...and WOW did it do an amazing job of bringing back the shine!

After a couple treatments of the restore, I graduated to Mother's Wax... my fenders now look EXACTLY the same as the finish on the boat! It also made my trailer look brand new! Great product, I couldn't be more thrilled.