close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

trailer damage ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishingful, Sep 27, 2005.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

a buddy of mine launched his pontoon at springfield lake on the lakemore side of the lake he backed in the boat and the trailer droped off the end of the ramp when he pulled out he distroyed the trailer my question is the city at fault for the damage? thanks

2. Don't see how the City could be at fault since your buddy was doing the driving.

3. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

I agree with Shortdrift. What was your buddy drinking to pull that stunt off? Jaeger?

4. Are they at fault if you drive off the edge of the pavement on the road and do damage? If that were the case I would not want to think what our taxes would cost us.:rolleyes:

5. Funny how it is always somebody elses fault :confused:

6. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i would have to agree

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

though some ramps are marked to show where they stop,not all are.if they're marked,you have a guide so you can stop short of the end.if not marked,it's sometimes visible and with two people it's easy to avoid such things ;)
    if you have prior experience at a ramp,you most likely know where the end is.
    when the water is low as it is most places now,common sense says the end of the ramp is going to be shallower,forcing you to go further into the water to launch/load,which interprets to "BE CAREFUL".

so,as the others have said,the responsible party is your buddy...............................unless,of course,he is a city employee,was on city business,and the boat trailer belongs to the city ;)

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

thats what i was thinking when he was trying to tell me it was the citys fault ;) he is one of the guys that never does anything wrong and its allways someone elses fault and no he dosent drink

9. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Can you have any hope of recovering money. I have heard of cities paying for damages when sewer lids are off, when roads are bad and they know implicitly about the issue and stuff like that. However, your buddy's out of luck. He is responsible for his equipment when loading or unloading a boat at a public ramp because. Like stated above, it's no different than if he ran off the side of the road on his way to the ramp and blew a tire.

How did he damage his trailer? When he dropped the axle off the edge, did he nail it to get the thing back out and rip the axle loose? I've seen that happen before. I've also seen people ease back up the drop-off and just get some scratches.

Now, if the ramp was "defective", the ramp authority knew it was bad and still did nothing to either fix the ramp or notify the boater, maybe they could be held liable but usually that doesn't hold water either.

UFM82

10. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i dont know if he guned it or not he droped off the end and got hung up and riped the trailer appart i just wanted to know what i allready knew that the city would not pay for it does it matter if it was a ramp that you had to pay to use?

11. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Without knowing the specifics of the situation, when in doubt, give 'er hell. I slid off the road last winter and went down into a deep ditch in my station wagon, I kinda of panicked about being stuck in the ditch so I just gunned that son of a *%#$& and whipped her right up out of there. Granted I nearly hit 3 oncoming cars head on but thankfully didn't.

12. Dixie Chicken

Dixie Chicken I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!

That's what insurance is for.

13. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

usually if there is a drop off, they should let you know!