close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Chops, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Chops

Chops

Hi after a long day of fishing I come home to find the brakes on my trailer won,t release to let we back into the drive any one have any ideas what to do to fix this. THANKS

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

What type of brakes do you have...??? Some will lock up automatically when backing. Give more info.

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Check your wiring. I bought a new tuck and had a 7 pin to 5 flat made up and they had one wire on the wrong connection and i could not back up either. After getting the wiring correct it fixed the problem. In my case they had the blue wire on the electric brake connection. i have surge brakes and that wire needed to be on the accessories connection.(this is located on the center of the 7 pin) I have a ranger trailer, hope this helps. You can unhook and push the trailer as long as you do not push on the tongue.

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at...! You Da man, Marshall. ;)

5. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I assume the brakes worked fine before so I would not think wiring issues are the cause. If you have surge brakes with a solenoid that operates the brake actuator from your back up lights, it is not uncommon to "fry" the solenoid if you back your trailer in to a parking spot without pulling the trailer forward a little to release the brake release. You essentially "trick" the solenoid to keep working as long as reverse pressure is placed on the tongue. The solenoid is designed to only work for temporary time frames (1-10 minutes) and it will fry itself if you keep it engaged for longer than that. To test, have someone put your truck in reverse with the trailer and wiring attached. Stand at the tongue and ss soon as the truck is put in reverse, you should hear an audible click at the tongue where the solenoid is located.