Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my trailer i keep getting greese slung out of my cap...what gives? and on the passenger side of the trailer, trying to put greese in it is so hard...it goes in fine on the drivers side, but on the passenger side, its really hard to pump in, any ideas?

what would be the effects if any from going from a 24 to a 26 pitch prop?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ya talkin bout Bearing Buddies?
When a grease fitting wont take, replace it. Most unscrew and are cheap.
Is your motor running in the factory determined RPM's?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
If you have grease getting out, that would likely mean that something isn’t sealed any more. Just curious, do you often try to pump more grease in the BBs? They aren’t made for that, and it can blow out the seals if you pump in too much. That would cause the grease to fly out. One way or another, I’d find out where the grease is coming from.
I would also agree, you’ve already got the right prop for your boat.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Grease can harden, or debris could have gotten in the grease fitting. If its a bearing buddy is the center disc all the way out? It should still take grease. Like the previous poster mentioned. Try a new grease fitting. If it still doesn't take grease pop the bearing buddy off and see if some grease may have hardened and could be blocking the fitting.

Like everyone else has already said. Sounds like the right prop. If I am thinking of the 373 right that doesn't have a built in set back from the transom? Could try a jack plate. That might get you an extra couple of mph. Only thing is....... you'd probably have to change all your control cables and fuel lines. You might be able to get away with the stock ones depending how much extra there is, and if you go with say a 5" plate versus a 10" or 12" one.

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its comeing out of the little pin hole in the cover. I have red ones that pop into the hub...not cover it.I was always taught to pump in greese untill the old comes out and younsee the new red. Thats how ive always done it.. but it still squirts out the hole and slings on the rim. Yeah il try a new fitting on that one side. If it aint the fitting what else would I check.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
That’s the incorrect way. The grease coming out that hole (pressure relief feature)means there’s too much pressure. Eventually it’ll go out through the seal. There are hubs where you can continually pump in new grease to displace the old, but Bearing Buddies aren’t that style. Doing so will eventually damage something, usually the inner seal.

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s the incorrect way. The grease coming out that hole (pressure relief feature)means there’s too much pressure. Eventually it’ll go out through the seal. There are hubs where you can continually pump in new grease to displace the old, but Bearing Buddies aren’t that style. Doing so will eventually damage something, usually the inner seal.
These are original 24 year old bearings....not bearing buddies.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I guess I’m confused. I thought you were talking about Bearing Buddies. What you described sounds like Bearing Buddies?

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
These are original 24 year old bearings....not bearing buddies.
Are you saying the bearings have never been changed in 24 years??? If so, you should try the powerball....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Whats that? Nope they still workin good. Smooth as can be lol.

i recon next step is to pull it off.. my as well change them...(both of em) lord, they got some miles on them.. now to figure out how to do the job...watched videos and searched, but none of them look exactly like my set up

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well i searched bearing buddy...yeah i got those...and the youtube videos make since...i got this... Hopefully the bearing buddy its self aint broken... Not sure how that greese gets to the back bearing lol

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I fill them the same way you do. Put grease in until I see it coming out. Pretty standard procedure I would think. Do you have the little rubber caps that slip over the ends? I lost one once and it threw grease on the rim as well. Pop the little rubber cap on, and and no more grease on the rims. If you don't have them I'm pretty sure most marine dealers sell them. Or you could order them. My guess is that there are pretty standard sizes...... Just measure the OD and order the size you need.

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I fill them the same way you do. Put grease in until I see it coming out. Pretty standard procedure I would think. Do you have the little rubber caps that slip over the ends? I lost one once and it threw grease on the rim as well. Pop the little rubber cap on, and and no more grease on the rims. If you don't have them I'm pretty sure most marine dealers sell them. Or you could order them. My guess is that there are pretty standard sizes...... Just measure the OD and order the size you need.
Yeah mine are red and pop in to the id.. Not od... Ehh ill see whats goin on... Maybe after 24 years they are just worn out...and heating up more. Picked up 3 bearing sets for $12 each

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
You must "pack" the grease in to the bearings before you start assembling everything. After you get it all together, I leave it jacked up while filling with grease. Pump till it starts to come out the little bleed hole. Then spin the tire a few times. That will work the grease through the bearings towards the back. Keep doing it until the spring loaded disk on the bearing buddy no longer retracts when you spin the tire. That will let you know all of the air is out of the hub.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Yeah mine are red and pop in to the id.. Not od... Ehh ill see whats goin on... Maybe after 24 years they are just worn out...and heating up more. Picked up 3 bearing sets for $12 each
Mine pop into the ID as well. The rubber cap fits over the end of the bearing buddy, so you would measure the OD of the bearing buddy to see what size rubber cap you may be able to put over it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts