close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trail Cam...

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by OhioHuntr02, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OhioHuntr02

OhioHuntr02 OSU Fisherman

I've been thinking about buying a trail cam for some time now. I've done a lot of research on them and realize there is a big jump in performance between the $100 models and the $500 models, but you really dont know how well it will perform until you actually get it out there and use it. I just thought I'd ask for your perspective to see what you like and dont like about certain models. I would prefer to buy a model $250 or under but any feedback you are willing to give would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Catfish Hunter 14

Catfish Hunter 14 Misplaced Wolverine

I bought a cheapy moultrie game cam at the beginning of the year and i have no complaints! The battery life is great, about 2 months on 8 D cell batteries, holds roughly 1900 pics on a 2G card. The pictures are suprsingly very clear. I was very impressed with this camera and it was only $100. I went cheap due to the fact that i hunt on Wright Patterson AFB and there are thieves out there! Day and night pics were both great. If u want to see some pics PM me your email address and i can show you the clarity.

3. I also bought a moultrie for 100 dollars. It takes 6 D batteries and I have no complaints with it.

4. OhioHuntr02

Catfish Hunter...I sent you a PM with my email. Thanks in advance for sending some pictures.

Also Fishstix which model Moultrie do you own?

5. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

You should talk to Adam, he's been using 3 Moultrie cameras for the last few years.

6. I have used the moultrie camras and the flash went out of every one they would work fine for a few months and then they would start taking alot of black pics only so i went away from the moultries and bought the Cuddeback Capture..its the best thing i ever did the picture quality is better the trigger speed is unreal and they only run around $200..well worth the price..check out the website at cuddebackdigital.com..

7. I have been looking for a higher performance one as well....been researching them on chasinggame.com as well. Everyone I have talked to (probably 25 people) said the best for around 200 is the Scoutguard game cams. Look into them, all great feedback.

8. I have the 4.0MP Game Watcher. They are 100 bucks at Wal-mart. I have had them out since July and haven't ran into any problems to date.

9. carpassassin

carpassassin Got ta luv it!!!!

I use the Wildview 2.0mp I have had it now 3 years and love it. The trigger speed is not that fast but it depends where you are going to use it. If you are using it over bait pile/feeder/scrape it works great. I would not recommend it for trail monitoring. The battery life on C's sucks but I use an external 12v battery with no problems. You can get them very cheap now, and if a thief does comes along your out $50.
    As far as resolution goes it is not the best, but then again it is all on what you are going to use it for. I use it as a tool to help determine when & where and whats out there. I am not looking for high quality picts but rather when I should be out in the stand and not in the boat or on the computer.

10. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

IMO you can't go wrong with the Moultrie D40. I have had one out since Sept and it has taken literally thousands of pics. Battery life is good, but has taken a hit with these cold temps. The pics are clear, even on the lowest setting.

www.archerytalk.com has a game camera sub-section in the bowhunting section. Seems almost everyone there is willing to share their pros and cons on cameras. They seem to like the new Scout Guards, but I have never tried them.

Buyer beware though, once you start with game cameras, you can't stop!

Lg_mouth

11. OhioHuntr02

thanks dwmikemx, that site has a lot of good informaiton on it and I was able to learn a lot.

12. OhioHuntr02

lg mouth, I unfortunately have to go to class.....dang college.....but I will check out that site sometime tonight. Thanks in advance.

13. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

here's pics from a Moultrie 5.0 from Cabelas $149.00
    [​IMG]

14. MAKtackle

15. MAKtackle

16. MAKtackle

17. Cool photo's MAK...thanks for sharing!

18. OhioHuntr02

awesome pic of the bobcat...dont get to see that too much in Ohio