trading in larger motor for smaller one?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by basstrackerman, Jul 5, 2008.

1. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

how many guys have or are thinking of trading in your larger hp motor for a 9.9? i think im going to. i know i wont have the speed, but its mainly a fishing boat, 2002 tracker pro team 175 with a 40hp now. it light aluminum and ive seen several boats just like mine with the 9.9hp on them. i will only buy a 4 stroke though. im also buying a 55 lb thrust mk trolling motor and going down from a 2 battery 12 volt system to a 1 battery 12 volt system for even lighter weight. just thinking of the future in case gas gets out of reach. im also buying a small kay-noe from dicks sporting goods 11'9" long and 32.5 in wide weighs 43lbs also will hold 475lbs.this will be my alone boat. to throw in back of truck when im alone for river or lake fishing. these are my ideas as to combat high prices. i will spend now to save later. whats everyone else doing??

2. You can gain some fuel economy, but gain some weight, by moving from your 2 stroke to a 4 stroke of the same HP rating. You can gain more fuel economy & save some weight by moving from your 2 stroke to a lower rated 4stroke but you'll take a $$ beating to make the trade. How many gallons of fuel would you need to save to make the difference?

A 9.9 on your boat could be a total pig - really underpowered, inefficiently using more fuel than it would in a more appropriate application - & it would kill your re-sale value.

If light weight & fuel economy are your absolute goal, consider trading your whole rig for something smaller.

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Not trying to argue with your plans, just an observation... ;)

A 40hp shouldn't be killing you on fuel. Do you know how many gallons you're using a season? If you're burning more than 100 gallons of fuel ($400/year) you're really using that motor a lot. If you don't already have an electric trolling motor that would be a good investment, but I'd stick with 2 batteries. My 55 MK Powerdrive would smoke a single battery under a day of heavy usage, which can ultimately kill the battery. A twin setup in 12V parallel is how I run it now and I never run out of juice.

FWIW - my first boat was a Basstracker TX-17 (similar to yours) with a Nissan 9.9. Great little boat, lightweight and easy on fuel. Fantastic for lakes like Hoover and Knox. Even having it out on over 50 or so trips a year I never burned more than 25-30 gallons of gas all year. HOWEVER, put it out on a lake like Buckeye or Alum and you're at the mercy of the big boys and it takes forever to get from one spot to another.

So, I traded up to a 17' Deep-V with 90hp 2-stroke and a 9.9 4-stroke kicker. So far this year I started off with a full tank back in April. (20 gallons) I fished Delaware 3 times, including the crappie tournament, alum once, buckeye once and Hoover at least a dozen or more outings. All on less than 20 gallons of fuel. Yeah, I know I fish Hoover way more than the other lakes and I would likely burn way more gas if that weren't the case. It just goes to show that you can just choose where to fish and save money. I estimate I'll use anywhere from 50-60 gallons this season the way I fish now. If I were fishing tournaments, or hauling it up to Erie all the time it would be more.

You might be able to swap your 40hp even up on a used 9.9, but if you go to a marina and buy new you'll likely have to bring some money to the table on your trade-in. Plus another $400 for the trolling motor and another $300-$500 for the canoe. IMHO - that is several years worth of gas even if it goes up to $6.00/gallon.

4. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

yes i checked with several people on this and i will not save any fuel on downsizing to a 9.9hp due to over working it. maybe ill leave that alone and buy a minn kota 24 v trolling motor. i have moved my 2 trolling batteries to the front under ft ped seat to ballance the boat out some, its very level in the water now. before i had 3 batteries, 21 gal of fuel, live well, 40 hp plus buddy in rear of boat and i felt like i was riding a wheely. now its much more stable. with that said, my trolling motor is under sized at 43 lbs thrust, factory one that came with it. i was thinking 55lb thrust. but if i keep the 2 batteries i may just buy a 24 volt 80 or so thrust.