Tracker 14 Jon Boat worth it?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by mosquitoangler21, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Hey guys, i'm thinkin about buying a Tracker 14 jon boat for this coming spring because I am on a tight budget being that I am a college student and I figure that it would be good enough for fishing Mosquito. I usually have to rent a boat everytime I go out and I figure this would save me money in the long run plus it should fit in the back of my friends GMC truck so i shouldn't need a trailer for it. Does anyone here have any experience with jon boats? I also have a Minn Kota trolling motor so i wouldn't need a motor.

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Sometimes you can get more for your money by buying a used boat with everthing included. If you buy a brand new 14' Tracker Jon those are around $700-$800 right? There have been some deals on here that get you boat/motor/trailer and a few other items for around that same price.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

a 14 ft jon may be too small for squito on most days, that lake is shallow and kicks up pretty good. i would get a 14 ft deep v at least as parma stated.

4. a '14 Tracker? those jon's are made by Fisher Marine, same boat as a fisher model but just cause they slap a "tracker" name on it they go for about $150 more. i looked into that boat a couple years ago and found that out. if you have one near you, check out a Fisher dealer.

5. I'll second that. Maximize your boating opportunities-go w/ a v-hull.

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I just sold one of those same boats, make sure you are not going to carry it far if you are hauling it in a truck, they get heavy...Personnly I would look for a used one first.

7. Thanks for the posts so far guys, i'm new to this whole boating thing. What would be an example of a V-hull, probably a dumb question lol but i'm not sure what one looks like, i'm assuming something like a row boat? I am looking into maybe getting a used one too, i won't be getting the boat until around May because I wont have much use for it until then because i'll still be in class. Thanks again guys

8. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

causeway baitshop rents deep vee hull boats. you know, the yellow ones:D a jon/flat bottom on skeeter is a risk IMO. on a calm, sunny day you'll be ok in one, but a windy day...you will get wet and beat.lol. get the deep vee.

9. A V-hull is exactly what it sounds like. I jon boat has a flat bottom and a V-hull has a "V" shaped bottom. Like the other posts said you would be better off getting used(more boat for the buck). I would suggest starting to look as soon as you can afford it, not when school ends. I bought mine in the middle of winter, good deals happen year round, just keep looking. Good Luck.

10. Mosquitoangler,

Not a dumb question. You will find lots of good info here and asking questions on the board is a great way to get feedback. Like Muskyman said there are a lot of boats out there similar to what you're after. Keep an eye on here as well as local classifieds, Craigslist, etc and then look a alot of them and you will know when you find the right "deal". Many come with a trailer and small motor for what you might spend on just a new hull. If you choose one with a motor (or a trailer) you may need to do a little more research (ask more uestions) to make sure you know what you are getting. You will always remember your 1st boat. Good luck in your search.

Tim

11. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

freyed- just a heads up, not sure if its just my computer or everyone's. You need to be a member to access that link.

12. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

sorry bout that. i will try some thing different!

OW Member
    12/22/07 at 09:22 PM #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For Sale: 14 foot Jon boat ,trailer , and new 5HP 4cycle air cooled Briggs & Stratton short shaft motor. $1200.00 . or I will fill the boat up with duck decoys , decoy bags and goose decoys for $300.00 more. There must be 6-8 dozen plastic duck decoys ,at least two dozen Herters goose floaters and 2 dozen goose shells. Most have lines/anchors. Several long lines with snaps . All for $1500.00 . All ready to hunt with.

If you want better pics, shoot me a email at randyjw@adelphia.net and I will send them to