Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering this unit and would like some experienced input.
I'd be installing on a Merc 9.9 attached to a 23' PennYan glass boat.

Will it control my boat well at 1.4mph ?
Is there alot of noise while the unit is adjusting course ?

Anyone have one installed on their rig that I could take a ride with to see one in operation ??

Thanks
GR

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,198 Posts
I have seen those installed on kickers on the smaller tournament walleye boats. They seemed to work pretty good. I have a Garmin GPH10 on my Contender 23T. I don't think they function the same as mine is hooked into the hydralic steering of my main motor then I use a tie bar to the kicker. Really works well on my rig. I had South Shore do the install on the auto pilot, they did an outstanding job as usual. I am on my 3rd season with it. That might be something to consider as well.

·
walleyes and whitetails
384 Posts
Could one of you share some info on what these units do or how they work

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Gary I know alot of guys run this unit that visit the Glanglers.com forum you may want to post over there to get info. All signs point to buy it you won't regret it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run my TR-1 on my 23' Sportcraft with a Merc. 9.9 Prokicker. Best money I've ever spent. I don't normally troll that slow, but it should do the job with ease. The only issue I could see slow trolling would be if you were trying to troll quartering into a stiff wind...I don't have a problem trolling into a heavy wind, but I'm usually doing 2-3mph. If you did have a problem, it's as simple as adjusting your sea-state filter (sort of like a gain or sensitivity setting). As far as noise...there is none. Well, at least none that you could hear above the hum of the kicker. You're welcome on my boat to check it out, but it'd be a bit of a drive for you...I'm in PA.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Gary, Be aware that the TR-1s used to be unreliable. You may get some disgruntled feed back from guys who had them years ago. I think they are pretty much OK now, but I've never had one. Good luck.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
If you have enough thrust/propulsion from your outboard you can do whatever you want with the engine.

I just did a new T9.9 Yamaha with TR-1 GOLD with throttle control on my Sportcraft this season and it is wonderful and can troll 1.4-3mph...I can turn around in 3ft waves and walk to the back of the boat and rig rods while that Yam pushes me right back the way I came straighter than I can drive...Troll all day on under 5gallons of gas.

The install is not very complex. Garmin spells it out very well in all of the literature...Took me about 8 hours to install, and I just worked on it a few evenings...Hardest part was the bleeding procedure, and even that was not that bad. The whole thing is very plug and go kinda deal with all of the connections routing back to one unit...

If you have any questions or concerns let me know. Ive owned the TR-1 products for the past 10 seasons...The newest GOLD system is very impressive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My sixth season with the TR-1 Gold. Outstanding boat control. Point and go or tie into your GPS and troll between waypoints. Has been a solid unit. Purchaed pre-garmin but garmin has been great with support. Had a button on the hand control go bad the 3rd year and Garmin replaced, no questions asked.

Would not fish without it.

·
Gone but not forgotten!
83 Posts
This the fourth season with mine. I'm running a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a 24ft center console.

Best thing I ever bought for the boat. Installed mine in one weekend. Nothing really complex, just time consuming routing all the wires and hoses. I did one circle with the boat to set up the compass and away I went. The unit has worked flawless ever since.

I purchased the 9.9 with the longest shaft made and mounted it low. I have no control problems at about 1.4mph with any reasonable lake conditions.

Jim

·
The Producer
90 Posts
Just had one installed on my 230 wa hydra sports. I love it. Fished 1-3 white caps the other day with avg troll of 1.8 mph. Was satisfactory. In calmer water it holds me on a straight course at 1.4 without difficulty. It has been the best investment I have made. I have a 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke kicker. There is no noise that I have detected from the unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had mine less than a year and the pump motor started leaking. Dealer repaired with replaced pump from Garmin - no charge. Works well in waves 1-3 feet, marriage saver when the wife is the first mate. Mine makes a slight buzzing sound, nothing too distracting. I have it on a 9.9 Yamaha pushing a 25 ft Baha Cruiser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts