close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Towing gears

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, May 13, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ok...a buddy of mine and I have differing opinions on this, and I'm ready to call the GM dealership to confirm either way.

We both own GM trucks/SUV's and tow boats with them. He tows in OD on the freeway, I always tow in 3rd gear, so it won't kick into OD. Which is better for the tranny?

2. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

I've seen this debate on several diesel sites. With today's computer controlled drivetrains, there is no reason to lock out the OD, assuming that the computer is not seeking back & forth between OD & 3rd. If the trans keeps shifting, then yes, shut down to OD, otherwise, leave it up to the computer.

Good thread on the subject:
    http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=1708778&Forum=f16&Words=overdrive&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1705642&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1708778

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Shake, my Jimmy has a 'tow' button it, and the only time I use it is if I'm towing in mountains, as it keeps the tranny from upshifting and downshifting. All other times I'm in standard drive mode.

4. ShakeDown

Cool! You guys prolly saved me a ton in gas this weekend :) Now I owe someone a beer :(

5. Every truck is not the same,in your owners manual it will tell you if it is ok or not.I would check!!

6. No reason to tow in OD unless, as others have noted, the tranny continually shifts up and down. I towed 27 foot travel trailers all over with my Suburbans which had the standard, not low ratio gears that were recommended for towing. Never had a tranny problem but also learned when to manually downshift. The auto manufacturers will always note the condition which affords the best solution for those that don't tow regularly.

7. an Automatic Transmission cooler is a MUST if you tow very much

8. ShakeDown

Yeah I'm covered there...even have a more tow friendly rear end in the truck. We were just uncertain about the consequences of towing in OD.

Thanks for the help guys.

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok so iam towning a 14' glass boat with tiller motor. Tow vehicle is a 99 GMC jimmy should i be in OD with the tow haul switch on. Or just in OD it seems to do a little better with the OD and the tow haul switch on.

10. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the tow mode is for towing a load thats at least half of your towing capacity,or so it reads on my safari van. i tow less than half and use od.