Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Mosquito today with a buddy of mine. Caught a few walleye and crappie, nothing to brag about. On the way in noticed a boat on the east side of the causeway underpass about 30 yards offshore. The guy was waving at other boats and no one was stopping. I motored over and he had about a 18ft older tri-haul that wouldn't start and had anchored but the wind was pushing the boat toward the causeway. He also had his daughter, looked to be about 8 or 9 on board. We tied onto him a towed him across the lake to the ramp with our little 9.9 in pretty good waves but we made it. Wanted to pay us but told him to pay us by helping someone else out that need's help. Can't believe no one would stop to help him....Pete....Aka Hatchetman

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Good job Pete !!!! It's a shame when fishermen won't help someone else out . I hope if i ever need a hand someone like you is around

·
FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER
1,200 Posts
good job pete i can believe it not no one would stop there are alot of rude and inconsiderate people in this world. and when 1 of them people that wouldnt stop to help, breaks down they can just sit there and think about the person they wouldnt stop and help. i believe what goes around comes around

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Last week I was returning to the marina at the state park. 200 yards out from the wall was a Searay with a LARGE distress flag draped across the windshield. There were boats within 200 yards of him fishing, and they totally ignored the situation. They did not know if he was broke down, having a heart attack, etc...It turned out to be a person I know, and he was also amazed by the actions of people. It was not a major emergency, except that the inboard imploded!
John

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I towed one in at Turtle Creek about a month ago. A 20 foot Starcraft. As I got near the boat, I saw two guys bailing water, and figured this can't be good. We got close, and the guy said that he knew he had a blown head gasket, but wanted to catch some fish. He asked us to tow him in. As I was about to throw him a rope, I noticed his 'MI' numbers. I jokingly said that I don't tow guys from Michigan. At this point, all three guys in the boat start yelling "GO BUCKEYES".

I towed them into Fenwicks, and he tried to give me $20 and a twelve pack. I declined. He's going to need the $20, and no one in my boat wanted the beer.

Another time, I was on Mosquito. I see someone raise a distress flag. I reel up, and head over. I get to a 14' boat with two guys in it. I asked if everyone was OK. They said yes. I ask what the problem was, and one of the guys said that they ran out of gas. I asked where they launched at, and he pointed to the public ramp on rt 88. It was about a 1/4 mile away, on a windless day. Just then I spot a pair of oars, so I tell the guy " that's a distress flag. Not a stupidity flag", and motored away.

They could use the exercise, and maybe they learned something.

·
multi species angler
4,365 Posts
I also towed in a boat a couple of weekends ago on Mosquito. It looked to be about an 18 footer. I saw them trying to flag down other boats but once again no one would stop. I was trolling so I picked up my lines and headed over. They said that they were out of gas. I ask where they launched and they pointed to the state park ramp. We were about 2/3 of the way up the lake on the west side. It took me a long time but I got them in with my 14' boat and 9.9. They tried to take me to the marina to fill my tank or give me money but I declined and said just to help some one else when in need. Hopefully they learned a lesson and are more prepared in the future.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Nice job Pete. Everyone else too. We all have to look out for each other out there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hiya guys, I don't chime in much anymore but, when i see something i guess i feel the need. I see your point Hetfield, but..... as a boater being out of gas on a lake, he did the right thing flying the distress flag. you as a passerby could not determine his health. And whether it was in his best interest to be punished for being hasty and not monitoring his fuel. Granted it was his own stupidity. but why i ask for an even bigger accident. If he had a heart attack or a seizure from rowing? would it make him less stupid? And please don't attack this posting it is just an observation with no malicious content. Have a great day guys. Be safe, and courteous. i'll see you all on the lake, i am sure.

·
Equal opportunity fishing
4,287 Posts
One time on Atwood, my pontoon ran out of gas(I was new to owning a boat, suffice it to say) and a BIG storm came in. I sat there in the pounding rain for the better part of an hour waving a flag, blowing my horn, with people going past waving. Finally, someone stopped and asked "Are you in trouble?" After he towed me in, I offerd him $20 and he refused....I never forgot it and have since towed in 2 others.....for no charge! Good job!!!

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
i nonce traveled about 3 or 4 miles from east of south bass to the west side to get a person in distress. he was in a big pack of boats and no one would help as they drifted past him. i let him use my spare battery to start his motor and he was good to go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice knowing there are still some people out there that have good morals.

I was out at portage lakes last year taking out a boat that hadn't seen water in 2-3 years. Was just putting around for a good hour, making my way around the speed zone when I seen a bow rider anchored with a younger kid in the front waving an orange flag. Went over to see what the matter was. Family with two kids sitting out in the sun baking waving the flag and no one in the speed zone would stop. He had no power to the boat. Thought about towing him in but was low on gas myself. Told him to pull his battery and that I would give him my spare and just follow him back to dock to get it after he made it back safely. Turned out that his negative cable connector had broke cutting power to the boat. Couple minutes for a temporary fix and he was on his way. Didn't really do to much help other than diagnose the problem! haha

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes i am glad there are still some nice people left.I am glad you helped him out ,as i have towed people in too twice at pymie and once at mosquito.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I was at Mosquito last spring with the 12' boat, My fuel line wore out on th 6HP Evinrude. Chachisnaps from this site towed me in. Then, parked the boat at the docks behind Causeway crews' place, (thanks crew) Walked across the road to the public launching area, Drove my truck and trailer to Dockside Marina. I waited 5 mins and was asked what I needed. Showed the guy my worn hose and came back with a new hose. Didn't charge me anything. I was very thankful, and I still am. I help out whenever I can.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
nice job,pete.and others also.we should never be too preoccupied or uncaring to m=not help fellow boaters/fishermen.
i too have give aid on the water.couple years ago,i towed bass boat about a half mile down hoover to the ramp when the guys' trolling motor crapped out and his big motor wouldn't start.also helped rescue an older couple who'd flipped their sailboat in the middle of the lake and were hanging on for dear life.i tied held their boat while another boat took them in to get their pontoon.followed them back as they towed the saiboat in.then had to rescue the guy after he jumped in the water and wore himself out and almost drowned while trying to flip the boat back over.same year had to pull a 26 foot sailboat out of the shallows when the two guys grounded it.now that was a job with my little 14 footer/9.9,LOL.the keel was buried and the boat was listing so bad it was almost taking water over the side.though offers of payment were made,same as others,i only asked they help if they found someone else in need.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Nice job guys. I have towed 2 guys in from ladue and around 7 years ago while i was at skeeter my dads boat dies. the waver were semi big and we were going out further and we were paddling like crazy. But some guy did ask us if we needed help and towed us in.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
oops,forgot to mention i got a little payback for ervices the other day.came into the ramp at hoover after several hours and wasn't having a good day with my breathing.a guy had just launched his boat and saw me leaning on the post getting my breath and asked if i was ok.i told him i would be when i caught my breath,but he told me to stay put,took my keys and parked his truck.then backed my truck down the ramp so i could just drive the boat onto the trailer:)
a simple thing like walking up the ramp is like a major workout for me,which is why i rarely fish alone nowadays.and i won't forget the kindness of that genteman:)
i doubt you visit this forum,but if so,thank you again for your help:)

just don't tell my wife or she'll try to ground me from fishing solo:eek: :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts