close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tournamnets what changes would you like to see

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussion' started by ranger487, Aug 24, 2005.

1. ranger487

ranger487 OhioPro Lure

Just doing a little pole to see what things you would like to see diffrent in ohio tournaments. I feel they are all run well but I would like to see a off-limits period before the tournament like the old ABA use to have, it was a whole week before the tournament. The only thing that would cause a problem is that there are so many new circuits around you wouldnt be able to practice the weekend before, unless you just fish that circuit. oh well just something to talk about.

good fishin Mark

2. I wanna see a two day $10,000 first place guaranteed payday...hmmmmm!

Off limits locally is mute point to me, it really doesnt make a difference when fishn local regional waters ,and as a director, darn near impossible to enforce... I dunno, maybe wrong mode of thought.???

Many NE trails next year will be running nearly identical scheds that will allow for prefishn' during the event. EX. Mosq, April- Berlin May etc etc. I think that great personally????

Nip
    www.dobass.com

3. I think something that would be interesting is to have a tourney that you were only allowed to fish certain areas for a specified amount of time. I forget what that format is called but would be neat I think. Basically a "hole" tourney. Split the lake up into sections, number them and then rotate the anglers around the hole. It's not a new concept but it would be new to Ohio. Two day tourneys would be interesting as well.

Also I like fishing at night. I'd love to see some night tourneys at Berlin, West Branch, Milton, Portage, etc. What about a night fishing series? I used to fish a few of the night tournies at Tappan lake and it was a lot of fun. Fish from midnight till 8am and weighin at 8am. They still do them at Tappan but now I live 1 hr 45minutes from there and that's a haul when you been up all night.

I'd like to see door prizes at some of these events. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be in the money all the time. As a past event director in mountain bike racing arena it we would give out door prizes to the bikers during the awards. People love to get free stuff....I'm sure with a little work some sponsors or local shops would donate some schwag items.

Should I stop now!? haha.

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I would like to see the rules enforced fairly each and every time. I would like to see the guys running the tournament to pass the rules out to everyone before starting. I would like to see some more night tournaments. I would like to see girls in thong bikinis running the weigh-ins (just checking!). I could go on and on....

5. I would like to see a rule introduced to give a boat into the current or into the wind right of way for X amount of space . I have seen many times where a boat will be coming against the wind or with the current where I feel they should give right of way to the other boat. There are also times where boats in other club tourneys cut people off on banks they are already fishing. Get in line!!!!!

Eric

6. crankus_maximus

Are you saying that if someone is fishing a solitary position, then the person who is drifting should give way to the boat fishing the solitary/fixed position?

I understand what you are saying, but everyone's concept of distance is different. How would you enforce that one?

7. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

a tazer should work...hmm I need to get one of those. would solve alot of problems on the water :D

8. Procraftboats21

I also like the idea of night tourneys, expecially in the dead of summer. You would see some awesome bags. Fish that you wouldn't see in a 8 hour daylight tournament.

9. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Crankus , it seems that you have been fishing the wrong tournaments . I not only give everyone a copy of the rules , I enforce them . One thing that my guys seemed to like also , was they were given a payback sheet when they joined in so there is never any questions .

As for things I would like to see --
    1) I would like to see more is more sportsmanship between anglers .
    2) I would like to see more night tournaments also , I may have to give them a try next season to see how they would go .

10. I would really like to see the anglers read and know the rules prior to fishing!

I'm just as guilty as the next guy with this one, but as a director it gets pretty overwhelming with the same question 39 times in the morning "whats the limit"- "what time is check in"- "does this include big bass".

Its a little concerning sometimes that folks come out and drop the cash like they just did- signed the entry form- signed a liability release- but yet dont know the simpliest rules. I worry then if they know the other 25!

Ah... I feel better :)

I agree though about enforcing the rules accross the board- directors must do it or face many problems, usually destroying the circut down to just "their buddies".

We DQ'd one of the most long standing, notorious and reputatble team fishn this region for a completely inadvertant off limits penalty. They fished it for no more than 10 casts, I even checked their livewell "empty" after they did it, to satisfy them. We still followed the rules. They were ultimately excellent sports about it proving their names as not only great anglers, but sportsmen.

We didn't DQ a team for fishing off limit areas once because the off limits was never announced and the buoy that used to indicate a no boat area had changed unbenounced to myself and my team. At the time of the protest the bouy indicated the area simply as "dam area". The rule read " any area marked as "no boat" regions. We went by the rules again and allowed the weight to stand.

One thing we did in both instances was informed the entire field of our decisions and how it was determined in our ruling- leaving no room for rumors or "the enemy". We also use standard written protest forms that are available for viewing during morning registration.

Ok- I'm done...

Did someone say $10,000 first place!!!! Look out for May 20th and 21st on Mosquito reservoir 2006!!!!!!! Details online soon!!!!

Nip
    www.dobass.com

11. i know where i am gonna be may 20 and 21st lol and in a stratos lol

12. Procraftboats21

ahh I was forced to fish in one the last NOAA event and maybe the Portage one too :rolleyes: I will admit though they do have a sharp look to them. I really like the graphics on the newer models.

13. You rock Austin!!! One short little ride in that Stratos changed your mind!!! You believe this Mikeshookset! How about that for a change in tournaments- Austin in a rocket !!!! You should try them in 8 footers, even better!

Check out some of these just released changes for 2006! I'm surprised no one has brought up payouts.... :confused:

http://www.dobass.com/2002schedules.html

You may need to refresh browsers if visited recently.

Nip

14. Crankus,

I don't know about most tourneys, but our federation club already has a rule pertaining to solitary positioning. The spirit of rule states that you must stay 50 yards away from a boat "anchored and with the trolling motor in the water".

What I would like to see is the sportsmanship that Phil mentioned. I have fished opens with Phil, and would have fished his divisions in Columbus this year had I not moved to Cincy in April. He is a great guy and runs excellent opens and divisions. Alot of times, just having a rule available will deter most good fishermen from breaking it. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with each angler. Some tourneys utilize lie detectors in the possibility of cheating. Though expensive for the local tourney, it works on the larger ones. Simply having a co-angler who could verify or deny the charge is enough sometimes.

Eric

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I'd like to see a change in pay-outs...too much being skimmed off the top...right nip?!?!? whats the pay-out for the lado and Noaa events?

16. crankus_maximus

Phil:

I've fished one of your tournys with Marshall. No complaints there. Nice setup. Even get some free grub! Actually, best $20 muffin and $20 hotdog and coke I have ever had!

Phil and Eric:

I understand the spirit of the rule, but guys on both sides take it too far. I've been tourneys where guys have cut us off. I also fished a tourny where somebody thought we cut them off and it wasn't even close to the case. They complained to the director (which looks bad for us) and he said something to us. We racked our brains trying to figure out what we did to piss somebody off. We finally decided we didn't do anything wrong and to go on with it.

I am a VERY respectful fisherman and will go out of my way to make sure I don't break the rules. However, rule enforcement is very difficult when it is a he-said, she-said kinda thing.

Anyhow, I think we agree.

17. Procraftboats21

18. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Some great info guys. Riverwalker and my self will be running a Midwest series in north central ohio in 2006 set up will be just like Phils tourneys trophies and all as he runs a class act. Information will soon follow. If anyone is interested pm us.

19. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

We already fish night tourneys with your ending times!!!! :D "Ahhh guys, lets go till 10:00 tonight" :rolleyes: :D LOL.........B.D.
    1. I would like to see the fish cooperate more....... :eek:
    2. I agree about the sportsmanship. We are all in this for fun and if you
    do this for the money, probably should not be fishing a "weekend warrior
    club.

20. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I believe that the thing that makes most any tournament good , is the anglers that fish it . I have a very great group of guys that would go out of their way to help me out . They respect one anouther also due to the fact that they know the rules will be inforced if they do something wrong . One of the most important thing for a director to do is get as much feedback from the guys as you can , no matter if its bad . It will only help you run a better tournament .