close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tournament damage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ss minnow, Aug 27, 2005.

1. I have concerns that too many tournaments on one body of water, in a season, could set the fish population back irreversably, despite catch and release. I have seen lakes and fish "beat up" after a hundred guys or so fish it several times a season, with everything that technology has to offer. I think most fisherman still see fishing as a non-competitive, not for profit form of recreation and should not have to suffer the effects of a warn out lake.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

3. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Portage Lakes in Akron has probably 2 tournaments per week on average through-out the season, and the weights don't vary that often. This Summer I was able to fish the Wednesday night series out there and we were able to put at least 8-9lbs. in the boat on a fairly consistent basis through-out the Spring and Summer, and didn't cash a check until recently. I've also fished the LaDue series for the past 4 years and the tournament weights there are actually getting better each year. Most popular tournament lakes in NE Ohio have good average weights year after year.

4. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

Here at Lake Logan we had a Guy holding Catfish Tournaments every week with 40-100 people on a 400 acre lake. I can tell you from fishing it the years before they started this & now. It totally stressed the fish, The fishing wasnt & still isnt like it was before. Im trying to ask The ODNR Manager for this Lake to Please Limit the Tournaments for the Lake to make the Fishing Better for everyone. Even if it cuts out some of My Tournaments, It would be worth it. I am only holding them every 2 weeks, This other guy will have them every week if I cant try to do something to stop them overfish the Lake. It really stress's the Fish bad here at Lake Logan, I have saw the differance first hand.

We only have 1 Bass tournament a week & thats not enough to make a Differance.

JMHO

Cat Mazter

5. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

There are some good points to be made regarding this subject that go both ways . I have my own "opinions" also .

1) I could see where a tournament could effect the outcome of a lakes hatch rate during the spring due to takeing fish off the beds and letting other species eat the eggs or fry .

2) As for holding to many tournaments , in alot of lakes a bass may not see a lure but a few times in its life . Take Alum Creek for example . There is so much dense structure in deep water that most fishermen never touch it . About half the fish probably never see a lure in its life !

3) Bass seem to be teritorial . Often after they are caught , they will return to the same general area that they were caught in . It may take them awhile but studies have shown that it happens most often .

4) Most tournaments have a 99.9% live fish return . There is the occasional instance where one dies but for the most part , they return to live anouther day .

5) Tournaments contain alot of ethics . In most tournaments , people are instructed in how to keep the fish they catch healthy and how to protect them from extreems such as heat ect..

6) There are some that fish tournaments that are either immature or very bad loosers . I have saw guys just throw there fish out into the water after thet weigh them . In return , I have saw some of them float to the top . :( I must say that if I as a tournament director ever see this happen at one of my events , this person will never fish an evet of mine ever again .

7) There are thousands of tournament anglers in the state of Ohio . It is ranked as one of the states that has the most tournaments in the country . Alot of $$$ is generated toward the ODNR from Tournament anglers . They purchase more tackle than anyone I know and part of the sale goes to the ODNR . With this $$$ better stocking programs are established and the water ways are kept in better condition provideing a healthier life for the fish .

I personaly believe that fishing tournaments can generate alot more good than bad but that is only my personal oppinion .

6. Now thats funny. I just read in one of my fishing mags about how most tournament bass DON'T return to their home. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember the numbers were high for non returning bass.

7. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Do your catfish tourneys mentioned have guys on the bank with fish hooked to a stringer the whole time and then taken out of water to the weigh in? This would stress any fish. Unless these fish are in a livewell in a boat with fresh water constantly being pumped in and aerated it would be stressful. A cooler on the bank could be used if equipped with an aerator but the water would need changed a lot to get rid of fish waste especially ammonia which is toxic to fish. One of the worst things i see is people that catch fish (any type) and put it on one of those stringers where you run it through the gills and expect to turn it loose after it has sat in the sun all day or even all night. The fish pulls and tuggs and damages his gills and probably will not do good when released. Proper knowledge of how to handle your fish is just as important as catching them especially in tourneys. I have seen many bass tourney weigh ins but have never saw a catfish tourney weigh in. Could someone tell me how it is done. I picture a guy sitting on the bank then catch a big cat then either hurry up and run it to a scale while being out of water then weigh it and put it back in. Do you guys use weigh bags with water, do you guys put them on stringers and take them at the end of the tourney to get weighed? I understand how the boaters do it or should. Fill me in.
    Tourneys are a fun way to be competitive and meet new friends, i fish a lot of bass tourneys and am pretty confident that guys do a good job handling their fish, but i do see a few who don't respect the fish the way they need to be treated. For the most part i think tournament fishing has come a long way from what it used to be with keeping fish a live. Livewells are bigger, aerators are better and recirc pumps are used when the boat is out of the water. Also there are additives to put in your water to help calm the fish and keep their slime coat protected.

8. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

I think overfishing of any kind causes stress to a body of water. The smaller the area the worse the stress potential. I know a guy who personally witnessed a tournament weighin afterward slaughter of bunch's of Lake Erie smallmouth. These fish were caught in cold deeplake spots, and then released into the Sandusky Bay. Can you say stupid! I don't think this has to happen, but some tournament people tend to have a "superior" attitude. It's no longer the enjoyment of the catch, but the thrill of the check...

9. hydrasport73, With all due respect for your opinion, I believe that facts alone will protect fishing consistantly for the long term, not opinions. Parmabass, with all due respect, 4 years have seen technology improve dramatically just for getting around and staying on electric motor only lakes. That could account for increased weights at the end of the day. I asked the original question to see if there were facts regarding overfishing. You all must recognize that if we are not mindful now, fishing will totally suck for everyone, even tournament anglers and that would be no fun. Lets face it, we humans tend to mess things up having our fun, then look back wishing it could be like in the old days. I am thinking this is one thing we need to be paying attention to now.

10. It doesn't take a whole lot of successful nests to maintain adequate recruitment. For example, just a few would be adequate for all of Turkeyfoot. That's why fishing during the spawn is usually no threat. There are exceptions, with Erie smallies being one of them.

11. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Fishing Tournaments have been around for a long time and there not going anywhere. No matter how many tournament are held on any particular body of water, with proper care and responsible anglers no long term harm will be done. Now I can definately see problems arising from huge numbers of tournaments on a 400 acre lake, that easy to see, but on the larger lakes such as Mosquito, Berlin, West Branch, Portage, etc. if the fish are properly taken care of the fishery will be just fine. It wasn't that long ago when fish were brought to the scales on a stringer stiff as a board and white eyed. Tournament fishing has come a long way too.

12. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Yep it's a little late to be worried about tournys now, they have been going on for many many years. The better run tournys take care of the fish by use of a catch and realese boat and release fish over the lake in several areas. It really comes down to the fishermans responsibility to take care of their catch during the event. I have witnessed some dead fish after a tourny and you will always have some no matter how well they are cared for. But remember legally all those fish could have been caught and kept. Instead they are being released. Fishing pressure on a lake can make the fishing much tougher. Heck take a look at Indian Lake. There is a minimum of two pot tournys a week plus all the opens and club tournys. The lake really gets pounded hard and still has a good population of fish. Just my opinion

13. Dude wake up, it is NEVER to late to worry. Does that mean that we should stop caring above pollution and trash?? I mean come on, it has been going on for years as well.

14. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Dude, I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was tournaments have and always will go on. I am concerned about our fishery . There used to be a MDA tourny at Indian Lake every year, around 500 boats. They would release all the fish in a channel where the weigh in was. There were always many dead fish afterwards floating and many meat hunters would catch and remove many fish for days afterward. I contacted the guy that ran the tourny to try and work out a solution but he wasn't interested in talking. I was finally able to line up a group of fisherman to run a release boat (a pontoon with special tanks to hold then release the fish threw a trapdoor in the bottom of the tanks) , Thankfully this event is no longer held there. So Dude I still don't think there is any reason to worry. If you are so concerned go help out and weigh ins, they are usually always looking for someone to help.

15. Dude,I think I may have. But as far as helping with weighins, no thanks. I aint into tournaments at all. I don't even watch them on T.V. I never have really gotten into the competitive part of fishing. I just like to get out and catch fish.

16. I watched a Kingfish tournament this morning that was held in Georgia. The rules were that a single fish was the basis of comparison. No culling allowed - the fish was either released immediately or it went to the weigh-in as the competitor's specimen. And that was the ocean, not a small lake.
    It does seem that tournament pressure is uncontrolled. Maybe it ought to be managed by ODNR with proper restrictions that protect the public use (and their sponsorship) of the fishery. Anyway, they say that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake. So, if that's true, then it might not matter if they are released without being stressed.

Also, I have read that the summer months make for impossible tournament C & R since the livewell water temps are so high....so many minutes at high temp and they can not survive, though they can swim away fom the scales and give the appearance to the viewers that harvest is not part of the real sport of fishing.

17. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

like has been said before, tournaments and tecnology has come along way. an example is the x-series...while at lake erie, volunteers fizz the fish that need it before being released, this is to ensure there are fish to be caught later...I know not every tourney does this, but while looking at the negatives, look at all the positives!

18. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

WHOOOOOOOOOA!
    The fish may be "alive" when they are released, but I have seen research showing 30-40% of tourney fish weighed in will die. I'm not even so naive to think that 99.99 percent of fish I catch, photo, and release will survive...let alone throw in a live well for hours, put in a bag, weigh, and replace to the water.
    Think about it :confused:

Winner

19. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I see this getting ugly. I'll try to keep it short and point out some good. Tournaments provide odnr with valuable info about catch rates, fish populations and such. Odnr is not staffed to study each lake and electro shock all the time so guess what, they rely on tourney info to determine how a fishery is doing. Yea all fish may not survive but we as tourney guys do our best to do all we can to keep the fish alive, we don't want them to die. You can catch a fish photo it and watch it swim away and not say that it will make it or not. There are a ton of factors that determine if a fish will live or die. How long of a fight, how it was hooked and handled to name a few. All i can say is i have met some really good people fishing tourneys and made lots of friends while learning a ton of info. Everyone has their thing and tourney fishing is mine.

20. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I wish some of you who veiw tournaments as a completely negative thing to veiw the portages lakes chain of lakes as a whole and rate the fishery... I'm not sure if it an exception of what is considered to be the norm. for other lakes, but I see fish taken from east and released at the state park every week, and next week, like clock work huge limits are again taken from east... mean while you can't buy a bite from around the release area...those fish HAVE to be returning to their original areas... Also, while i have seen a few fish die at the weigh in's (many of which are taken happily anglers looking for a meal) i just don't see the mortality that people are talking about. i have also returned the next day, both early and late and have not veiwed more than 2 fish dead... If anyone would like to see the process in person, please feel free to stop by a tournament, not all are going to be the best, but i feel, in general, most will show exceptional handling of the fish, at worst, it won't be any worse than what the odnr does while doing both shocking and spring netting. a prime example of exceptional fish handling is the Lado/noaa series and the x-series. many tournamnets even use aerated/ogygen infused holding tanks with a stress releasing additive.