Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good effort by Tee, Shakedown and his Dad, Lundy, Lewis and Shortdrift, fishing in almost impossible lake conditions. There were 2/3 footers plus a vicious wind that put a secondary chop on the already bad news waves. Out in 20/22 fow the waves were around four foot with the same darn secondary chop. We caught Gobies, white perch and sheepshead in the 10 to 176 fow but no walleyes or bass. Didn't want to go into the shallower water with the way the seas were running. Lundy finally found walleye in deeper water but he quit along with the rest of us as it was more like work than fun. The darn wind was so strong at times that it was difficult to get a line overboard unless you cast it and then wound in a ton of slack befor it fell all over the boat. I guees you could say the best part of the day was when we stopped for a few brews after pulling the boats. :D I really feel bad for the members that drove up from Cincinnatti and Columbus to experience all the great fishing we have been posting. Here are a couple pictures of Lewis with his "Double on a harness" and the OGF Team finishing the day. :rolleyes:
Thanks for comming up Shakedown and Tee. Ruggles should be on fire with walleye in the next week or two. We will keep you posted and have you come up aboard our boats. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lundy caught his second sheepshead but wasn't close enough for a picture. He caught it when Shortdrift had called him on the VHF and then thanked Shortdrift profusely for bringing him the luck. :rolleyes: :D :D :p

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,481 Posts
I had a great time with all you guys yesterday.
Fishing and the conditions were more than tough,but the company was first class!
I enjoyed meeting Shake,his dad Gary,and Tee.Nice to hook up with Shortdrift and Lundy again also.
The cold beers and stories afterwards were much better than the fishing.
We'll do er again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such a rough time at the lake today guys. I went out on a charter out of Lorain and we got our limit from 6:30AM-2:30PM. There were seven of us all together (including the captain) and we ended the day with 42 'eyes...about 5 of which made Fish Ohio and quite a few others that were close!!!! I think our main advantage was being on a BIG boat that could maintain some control while trolling in less than favorable conditions. And I'll also tell you...there was noone fishing even close to where we were at all day!!!!!! The weather stunk, but the fishing was on fire!

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear someone caught walleye Friday. The big boat had to be a plus.
I'll be out again this comming week.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Straight From Cripple Creek....27 Eyes Were Caught Today,by One Angler,you Guys Sure Drive A Long Way .. Tappen Is On Fire Close To Shore On Jigs With Crawlers And Chart Jigs. Many Reports Came In The Last Two Days In Shallow Water. Life Is Good For Poor People Too!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
fishfider668,

I'm glad that you did well on Friday. A bigger boat in the afternoon would have been a big plus. The morning was pretty nice, it really started getting nasty late in the afternoon.

The walleye were there where we were fishing, they were just out a little deeper than they had been. I was targeting smallmouth first and switched to walleye when the smallmouth would not play along. The depth required for the walleye was rolling pretty good, fishable, but not much fun.

I know that trolling is a prefered method for taking bunches of walleye, but it is also my least favorite way to fish for them.

Congrats on a great day,
Kim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lundy and Shortdrift,

I am sorry I did not clarify days, but my trip was on Saturday. We braved the winds and rain to catch those fish. One point I will make though, is that the way we caught these fish trolling could have been easily matched by drifting and casting. These fish were up HIGH in the water column and in alot closer to shore than one would think! I believe we could have caught these fish casting husky jerks they were so high. It surely would have taken longer...but the bite was ON! If you want some particulars, E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll tell you what we did....but it would be unfair of me to expose this captain's program in open forum since he is the only one fishing that area and program right now.

Husky,

I am as close to Lorain as I am to Tappen. I do love to fish your area of the state,but day in and day out, there is nowhere else I know of that can match Lake Erie for consistently catching large numbers of LARGE fish. My problem is that by the time I find out a lake is "on fire" and am able to get there with my work schedule...the bite seems to have cooled off and I usually do mediocre at best. After doing so well at Erie over the years, be it on perch, walleyes or smallmouth (and sometimes two species the same day) it is hard for me to choose another lake when I can get to Lake Erie just about any time I have off work and can go!

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walleyeguy called this morning and told me he limited on 5 to 7 pound fish Saturday. He was fishing the same area where we were skunked. What a difference a day makes. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
First off, thanks to Shortdrift/Lewis/Lundy for doing their best to put us on fish! Unfortunately the wind killed us (had a couple of big ones come in the boat), but hat's off to you guys for the effort! Lundy even trucked over some golden shiners to help the cause, but we were blown off the lake shortly afterwards. Best part of the day were the beers and stories with those guys and Tee. Felt like we had known each other for years (I guess we kinda have techinically!). My dad really enjoyed it too, and was impressed with everyone not only on a fishing level, but also on a personal level too.

For a first time small boat Erie anglers, you guys went out of your way to show us a good time. I can't thank Shortdrift/Lewis and Lundy enough for that.

After Lewis and Shortdrift left the bar afterwards, Lundy/Tee and my dad I and I headed over to Huron and met up with Corey/Big Daddy/Skipjack for a few more drinks, and story telling. Coupla of the WOWC guys were hanging out with us (they had a tourney there the next day) and we had a great time, and too much sauce :)

I'll tell you what...times like that are reasons I enjoy fishing so much, and OGF. What lacked in the fishing, was more than made up for by the laughs afterwards. You guys are welcome on my boat anytime, as long as we don't have 3-4 footers :D

Almost forgot...Shortdrift and Lewis turned us on to the driftsock. I can see why it's a MUST HAVE on that lake for a smaller boat. On the flip side, it made for some REAL interesting moments for a couple of driftsock rookies...holding onto my dad's belt while he tried to retrieve it in those big waves is an entertaining memory I will always hold dear to my heart :D :D

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
fishfinder i know what you mean. i miss the ol lake. we had a boat on the dock up at wild wings for nine years and now it back to the home lakes. dad got old and sold the 23 ft boat so......you know the rest of the story.

·
Team OGF
2,132 Posts
Same Here Shake Down. I had a great time meeting everyone. Shortdrift, Lewis, Lundy, Corey, Skipjack, Big Daddy, Shake Down and his dad. Eventhough the fishing was tough the trip from Cincinnati was worth it. But meeting quality people and great stories was the best! I'm ready to do it again!

Also, I did get out Sunday morning and caught a few Smallies. I broke one off at the boat that was probably 5lbs. I just couln't get a consistant bite.....unless it was Sheephead, Gobies, or White Perch.

Tee

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,481 Posts
Fishing was so terrible that day...this is the only pic that I took,but it is a pic of 2 quality guys!Shake and his father in the Vermilion River..before we braved the angry beast known as Erie!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts