Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Water Atmosphere Daytime Cloud Fish Fish Carp Catfish Magur Went out of beaver creek to 31/15 marked very little. Started working ne In 3 1/2 hours caught 5 eyes a 7 lb a 4 lb a barely legal and two shorts. At the end I thought I’d snagged the bottom but was in 50’ fishing a deep diver around 20’. Maybe a perch net. Who knows. Finally got the other two lines in and backed up. All of a sudden it started moving. Had a good 15 minute true fight on 10 lb line. No idea what it was. Turned out to be the biggest, ugliest catfish I ever caught. The picture doesn’t do it justice. The thing looked like Jabba the Hutt. Somewhere 15-20 lb range I’m guessing. Ended with a beautiful sunset so all is well

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is a ball when you get one of those big catfish on. The DNR says don't eat them and I wouldn't even if they were safe. It happened to me once this year using a dipsy and small spoon. I knew instantly it wasn't a walleye but I was thinking a humongous sheephead. I would be very happy if I could catch one of those big cats every time out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
View attachment 372071 View attachment 372069 Went out of beaver creek to 31/15 marked very little. Started working ne In 3 1/2 hours caught 5 eyes a 7 lb a 4 lb a barely legal and two shorts. At the end I thought I’d snagged the bottom but was in 50’ fishing a deep diver around 20’. Maybe a perch net. Who knows. Finally got the other two lines in and backed up. All of a sudden it started moving. Had a good 15 minute true fight on 10 lb line. No idea what it was. Turned out to be the biggest, ugliest catfish I ever caught. The picture doesn’t do it justice. The thing looked like Jabba the Hutt. Somewhere 15-20 lb range I’m guessing. Ended with a beautiful sunset so all is well
I had that happen years ago at Berlin. I was also too deep to be snagged and it was about the same size as yours but on 8 pound test and a med lite rod. Too much fun!

·
Erie Bytes Fishing Team
306 Posts
My buddies and i usually have a small wager going on largest and most walleye (casting). Fishing on the west side on Middle Bass I was leading in both categories. As we were leaving my friend hooked a big fish. As he fought it, he told me that he was going to tie me for most fish and take biggest fish. After several minutes we saw the largest catfish I'd seen in Lake Erie. He's still upset if we ever mention it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddies and i usually have a small wager going on largest and most walleye (casting). Fishing on the west side on Middle Bass I was leading in both categories. As we were leaving my friend hooked a big fish. As he fought it, he told me that he was going to tie me for most fish and take biggest fish. After several minutes we saw the largest catfish I'd seen in Lake Erie. He's still upset if we ever mention it.
I took a guy from Wisconsin fishin years ago. He somehow hooked one of those red bricks with the three holes in it. The water flowed through it and gave the feeling of a fish fighting. Took him about 15 minutes to bring his ‘catch’ to the net. He did save it for display

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’ve caught them through the ice off Catawba a handful of times over the last 25 years and I always think it’s a trophy walleye. Still fun though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts