Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Multi Species Angler
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I wake up early right and lay there lazy like an idiot. I finally get up about 5:20, take the dog out and fool around with tackle and such. Finally, I was like, "Crap, I gotta get going". Then, I realize I need gas. After all these delays I fianlly hit the road to my favorite river. I haven't fished it at all this year so I was anxious to get re-aquainted with it. I saw more deer in 30 mins of driving than I have in the last 4 weeks. After a 2 mile hike up the road from parking spot, I get in the water at 7:10am. Not great, but not to bad. I knew I could bust some lips with a the spinnerbait, but I have been looking to expand my tactics and being alone I figured it was just me and the fish so let's mix it up a little. I started with a small buzzbait and caught 2 fish on it. I missed a big fatty that completely missed first swipe and then cruised 12 feet to where landed and as I was burning it in she swiped and missed again. DANG IT!!!! Then, I hit another stretch and it had everything, deep water, current, stucture and eddys.......+ rocks. There were fish here and I knew it. I missed a dink on the buzzer and decided to slow things down a bit. So, I tied on a fluke..........not by Zoom, but the kind that floats. This bait is sooooooooooooooooooooo freakin versatile and durable it's scary. However, I had never caught a fish on it. I was determined. I flung to my left and caught a dink(probably the little sucker I missed with the buzzbait). So, an hour in and I've caught 3 fish(12"rs). Not bad. Then, something got blasted just to my right in front of a stump. Oh yeah, tossed my fluke right up in there and danced it out. I had a something nip at it as it came across the current. Then, I threw it back and after 1 twitch. KABLOOOOOOOOEE! I went to slam the hook home and NOTHING? AAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, DANG IT! The bait went down so she either spit it quick or only had the back of the bait. She wouldn't come back for it either. Over the next mile or so I caught 1 more smallie and fooled around with a small inline for a spell and caught 4 rock bass. For the last stetch, I tied on a spinnerbait looking to bust a hog, but I only caught 1 more rock bass with it. Nice time on the water. There were a ton of critters out doing there thing to so that was neat. Still...............I would like to have the 2 that got away.

·
Banned
790 Posts
:D

I think the rivers are about 3 weeks behind the human calendar this year, so everything is starting to make sense.
I had the same thing happen alot when I started in with those floating flukes. Someone suggested to me that the fish might be repositioning the bait in their mouth (as if to avoid the spiny dorsal fins), and that I should wait a 2 count or so before setting the hook.
Worked for me.
D.R. would say you should be throwing a hard jerkbait when they're doing that.
I assume you're throwing a 5" version? Did you find any in the purtyboy color?

·
Multi Species Angler
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I got the 5"rs and was throwing them on a 4/0 EWG Gammy. I didn't find them in the purtyboy as you put it. These are a standard white with charteruesse tip.

Also, my baitcaster has been acting funny so I was using the spinning outfit today. I much prefer the baitcaster for the spinnerbaits.

Nice shot of rain we got today. It should help bring up the flows a little bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts